The Georgetown field hockey team snapped a three-game losing streak on Sunday with a dramatic 1-0, double-overtime victory over William and Mary on Kehoe Field. The teams played to a scoreless tie for two periods and then still could not find a score in the first 15-minute, sudden-death overtime period. With three minutes gone in the second and final overtime period, Georgetown junior midfielder Jordan Keating made a nice steal and got free for a break away. Rushed by William and Mary goalkeeper Erika Vargas, Keating sent a shot that deflected off the advancing Vargas and headed for the net, high in the air. As Keating went sprawling over the Tribe goalkeeper, her shot was deflected wide by a Tribe defender. But the [Hoyas (5-7)](http://www.thehoya.com/sports/field-hockey-edges-towson/) were given another chance. The Tribe player had deflected the shot with a raised stick and the umpires awarded the Hoyas a penalty stroke. Georgetown Head Coach Kim Simons sent in junior back Renata Burigatto to take the penalty stroke. “Renata is our best stroker,” Simons said. “She had missed a penalty stroke against Rutgers and her confidence was down, but I felt that she was the best that we had.” Burigatto sent the stroke past Vargas with 11:54 left in the second overtime period for the game winner and her first goal of the season. For Simons, whose team was coming off three straight lopsided losses, the victory was sorely needed. “Words cannot describe how important this win is for us,” Simons said. “Everyone was playing 100 percent out there. It was a total team effort. We knew that we were going to win this game.” William and Mary did not fall to Georgetown without a fight. The Tribe, who were ranked earlier in the season and now stand at 7-7, had multiple chances to win the game before it finally got away from them. The Tribe dominated the entire first 25 minutes of the first half. The ball only rarely crossed the centerline in to the Tribe’s zone as the Tribe racked up 23 shots to 9 from the Hoyas. The Tribe also managed to take 15 penalty corners during the course of the game compared to only three chances from the corner for the Hoyas. “We came out and waited,” Simmons said. “We let them dictate the tempo of the game and they had us on our heals.” Then, with ten minutes remaining in the game, the Tribe got a breakaway and managed to sneak a shot by Georgetown’s senior goalkeeper Lori Sousa only to have it hit the post and roll harmlessly away. The Tribe got their best chance of the day with two minutes remaining in the game. Georgetown was called for tripping in front of their goal and the Tribe was awarded a penalty stroke. Tanya Duffy lined up to take the shot for William & Mary and sent a rocket towards Sousa. But Sousa came up big, deflecting the ball harmlessly away. Sousa was brilliant for the day, saving 14 shots and recording her first shutout since Sept. 15. After allowing 10 goals in the last two Hoya losses, Sousa seemed to have thoroughly bounced back. “Lori Sousa is a fantastic goalie, one of the best in the country,” Simons said. “She has been incredibly consistent. I had no doubts about her.” The Hoyas have three games remaining, all on Kehoe Field. The win should restore some confidence to a Hoya team that was nationally ranked last season. Despite the win, though, the Hoyas were generally sluggish offensively. The number of penalty corner attempts for the Hoyas remained low and they only forced four saves for the game. “We tend to be more offensive minded,” Simons said. “When we dictate the tempo we do fine. We are still switching people around though.” The Hoyas remain at home this week to play the Cardinals of Catholic University on Tuesday at 4 p.m. The Cardinals were 11-5 as of October 13, playing mostly small schools. Simons is mostly worried about let down. “With such a quick turn around after such a big win, we need to make sure that we are focused for the game,” Simons said. “We have to hit them hard and play strong.