Archie Ruparel/The Hoya Junior defender Lauren Galbally and the Hoyas will not play in the postseason.

Despite a winning record and impressive outings against several talented teams, Georgetown women’s field hockey was denied a spot in the ECAC Tournament this Wednesday. Instead, the selection committee gave bids to Dartmouth, Boston University, Drexel and Yale. Yale is the tournament’s host.

Head Coach Laurie Carroll was disappointed with the decision, though “not surprised.” Generally, she found that the criteria used by the committee focused on performances against common opponents, and the Hoyas’ loss to University of Pennsylvania on Oct. 23 did not help their chances.

“In terms of the ECAC, I believe we were talented enough to play in and to win the tournament,” Carroll said. “But [though] we overcame our mistakes early in the season, we were hurt by some losses at the end of the season.”

The women’s final record of 9-8 was little better than average, though there were a number of individuals who turned in spectacular seasons. Senior goalkeeper and co-captain Jessica Herring was stellar in net all year, posting a goals-against average of 2.03 and saving 80.3 percent of the shots she faced. In addition to these sparkling statistics, Herring stopped two penalty shots and blanked the opponent six times, topping her five shutouts in 2001.

As recognition for her accomplishments this season, Herring has been honored with an invitation to play in the North-South All-Star Game at the Final Four in Louisville, Ky.

Senior co-captain Michaela Brown, a forward, was unable to find the back of the net this year, but provided key experience and leadership on an otherwise very young team.

The bulk of the scoring load in 2002 fell instead upon a freshman, forward Jessica Quinn. The prized recruit fulfilled her potential, tallying 11 goals (including three game-winners) and adding an assist to lead the team with 23 points. Junior forward Leeanne Rizzo added four goals and three assists for 11 points, and tied for the team lead in game-winning goals with three.

Also prominent on the scoresheet were juniors Shelby Samperton and Lauren Galbally. Samperton, a midfielder, was key to the Hoyas’ opportunistic offense, helping start up the offense after a defensive stop and scoring a goal and eight assists in the process. Galbally, in addition to being a key member of the squad’s defensive unit, was also a major contributor on penalty corners. Her four goals tied for second on the team.

“I was very pleased with our talent, our preparation and our practices,” Carroll stated. “We just fell short and were unlucky in some respects . we learned a lot of great lessons.”

With the departure of Herring and Brown, Georgetown will enter the 2003 season with a much more experienced team. Seven returning juniors – as well as a number of freshmen and sophomores who saw significant playing time this year – will give the Hoyas some maturity and experience that should create consistency in next season’s team.

Carroll seemed cautiously optimistic about the upcoming campaign. “We still have to see the freshman class. It may change the makeup of our team,” she said. “[Hopefully] we will be able to continue with the same system.”

The 2002 season was a bit of a roller coaster ride for Georgetown. A promising season-ending victory over Bucknell on Nov. 3 did not deliver a postseason berth. Next year, a skillful and seasoned senior class should make Georgetown women’s field hockey a force to be reckoned with as they look for a fourth consecutive winning record and a return to the ECAC Tournament.