Georgetown Partners with Mexican Institute

Georgetown University signed an agreement with the School of Public Administration and Public Policy at the Instituto Tecnologico de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, in Monterrey, exico, on March 21 to collaborate on the creation of a aster’s degree program.

ITESM, commonly known as Tec de Monterrey, will now offer aster’s degree programs in International Studies, International Law and Political Analysis and Media. A committee of Georgetown faculty members led by international business diplomacy professor John Kline will coordinate the effort with ITESM. The program will incorporate a two-week study at Georgetown for students completing their degree requirements, beginning in June 2004. The program will also create new ITESM courses in business administration and applied ethics. To develop such courses, faculty from Tec’s Monterrey and Mexico City campuses will work at Georgetown, where they will attend workshops with Georgetown faculty aimed at developing the curriculum for the new programs.

“Institutions in higher education can and should be explorers in the ways faculty and students can work together, learn from and with each other and begin shaping the more integrated communities that we will see in the next half-century” Georgetown University Provost James O’Donnell said in an press release. “We believe this agreement is the first step in an engagement with our American neighbors that will take us far beyond a traditional `exchange student’ and `junior year abroad’ programs. Even the Georgetown students and faculty who never visit Mexico will benefit from what we begin today.”

The signing of this agreement with Georgetown University and ITESM aims to improve ITESM’s community of 95,000 full-time students and 7,600 faculty members.