ANNAPOLIS, Md. – No. 5 Georgetown (5-2) knew coming into Saturday’s game at No. 9 Navy (8-2) that it would probably be in a tight game – the last three meetings between these two teams have been decided by a combined five goals – but it couldn’t have expected the roller coaster of a game that ensued.

The Hoyas blew open a five-goal lead, but thanks to three goals from freshman attacker Ricky Mirabito, including the game-winner in overtime, they were able to outlast the Midshipmen 11-10 at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Field.

“We played overtime games before,” Mirabito said. “We beat Hobart in overtime, and we played Syracuse in overtime and lost. We just knew it was going to be a battle.”

The Midshipmen won the faceoff in overtime, but after two shots went wide, an errant pass was picked up by Georgetown sophomore midfielder Chris Schuville who found senior attacker Brendan Cannon downfield. Cannon drove to the net drawing two defenders before passing to Mirabito, who was near the crease and beat Navy goalkeeper Tommy Phelan high to win the game.

“Brendan was scrambling and made a really nice play, and my guy stood off of me,” the freshman said. “I stepped out near the crease, and put it over [Phelan’s] shoulder.”

For the second week in a row, Georgetown jumped out to an early 3-1 lead, this time thanks to senior attacker Andrew Baird’s two goals. Baird opened up the scoring, intercepting a clear by Phelan and batting the ball into the back of the net to give the Hoyas the early lead. Just a minute later, he found the back of the net again, this time off an assist from sophomore attacker Craig Dowd.

Georgetown would increase the lead to 5-1 in the second quarter after sophomore midfielder Andrew Brancaccio rifled a shot in from 15 yards out during an extra-man opportunity. Down four goals, the Midshipmen scored two unanswered goals capped by sophomore midfielder Patrick Moran’s goal with two minutes left in the half. Moran positioned himself on the left side of Georgetown’s net so that Georgetown junior defender Chris Taylor was basically screening senior goalkeeper Miles Kass. With Kass’s vision blocked, Moran beat the senior goalkeeper to close the score to 5-3.

Navy looked like it had cut into Georgetown’s momentum going into the half, but with 27 seconds left Brancaccio took the ball to the left of the Navy zone, and with Navy junior defenseman Andy Tormey on his hip, scored to give the Hoyas a 6-3 advantage at the break.

“That’s Andrew right there,” Urick said of the goal. “He had a great look later in the game too that I think [Phelan] saved.”

Georgetown picked up right where it left off to start the second half, scoring in the first minute of play thanks to the Hoyas’ inside-out combo of Cannon and Baird. Cannon took the ball behind the Navy net from left to right and found a streaking Baird who calmly beat Phelan to give the Hoyas a 7-3 lead. Later in the quarter, a goal by Mirabito, his second of the game, would increase the Georgetown lead to 8-3 with seven minutes left in the third quarter.

With their offense out of sync and their defense looking sluggish, the Midshipmen found the spark they needed, courtesy of midfielder Moran, who spearheaded a 4-0 Navy run. The senior, who came into the game with 10 goals on the season, scored on identical bounce shots from the right side in the span of a minute to give Navy life at 8-5. The midshipmen would add two more goals to get within one goal at 8-7, bringing the crowd of 7,125 to their feet.

“[I was] not worried,” Mirabito said of the Navy comeback. “We knew coming in it was going to be a battle.”

With just over four minutes remaining in the game and Georgetown clinging to a 9-8 lead, sophomore defenseman Barney Ehrmann jumped on a Navy pass, making a brilliant interception. It was the second interception of the day for Ehrmann and set up a goal by Cannon moments later to give the Hoyas a 10-8 lead.

“Barney has been playing at a very high level all year, and today was no exception,” Urick said. “He’s as good as there is for us.”

Georgetown still held a 10-9 lead with under a minute to play, but the Midshipmen put the pressure on Georgetown’s defense. After a nice save by Kass, Navy sophomore midfielder Basil Daratsos picked up a loose ball in front of the net and beat Kass with 39 seconds left to even the game up.

Georgetown won the ensuing faceoff and called timeout setting up what was arguably one of the strangest and most exciting plays of the collegiate lacrosse season. With 15 seconds left, Navy senior defender Jordan DiNola intercepted a pass and found sophomore attacker Tim Paul who had a clear shot from 12 yards out that Kass saved with five seconds left. Kass, in his best Doug Flutie at the Orange Bowl impression, heaved a Hail Mary pass down field that went right to Baird. Baird quickly turned and placed a shot on the net. Phelan, who was out of position, got back into the net in time to kick the ball away with just under a second left in regulation to send the game into overtime.

“Didn’t want an old high school teammate scoring on me at the buzzer,” Phelan joked. “I could never live that down.”

The Hoyas have now won four games in a row after starting 1-2, including three wins over top-10 opponents. Next up for Georgetown is Mount St. Mary’s on Tuesday at 3:45 p.m. at the Multi-Sport Facility.