Georgetown Musters School-Record 32 Runs in Wednesday’s Win Over Delaware State

By Stephen Owens Hoya Staff Writer

In a wild week of baseball, the Hoyas dropped to .500, winning one on Wednesday while losing on both Tuesday and Thursday. The week started out mellow enough with a 3-2 extra-inning loss to aryland-Baltimore County on Tuesday, but things seemed to get out of hand over the course of the next two days, as the Hoyas and their opponents scored a combined monstrous 65 runs in a mere two games.

On Wednesday, the Hoyas beat Delaware State 32-11. On the next day, Georgetown lost to Mount St. Mary’s 17-5.

Sophomore lefthander Randy Erwin allowed three runs on Tuesday, only one of them earned, in 9 1/3 innings, striking out seven while walking none in the loss to Maryland-Baltimore County. Erwin is now 1-3 with a 3.34 ERA and ranks second on the team in strikeouts with 14. Despite Erwin’s impressive performance, he was just barely outdone by UMBC’s Richard Thompson, who went a full 10 innings, surrendering only two runs and striking out seven.

Junior second baseman Josh Corman and sophomore center fielder Brian Cassese provided the Hoyas with their only runs. Corman hit his first home run of the year and Cassese scored the other run and also stole a base for the Hoyas.

The Hoyas rebounded from their tough-luck loss on Tuesday by giving Delaware State the worst shalacking in their history, breaking all sorts of team and individual records along the way in a 32-11 trounce.

Georgetown’s 32 runs shattered their team record for runs in a single game, and matched the Wisconsin Badgers offensive output in the first round of this year’s NCAA basketball tournament. Other team records include hits (25), doubles (7), walks (16), at bats (52). The Hoyas also tied the mark set for home runs (4), with blasts from Corman, his second in as many games, Cassese, freshman designated hitter Kirwan Elliott and sophomore Stephen Cesar.

Individual records were set by freshman catcher Matt Bok for his eight at-bats in a single game (the previous record was six and shared by 23 others), and freshman Eric Sutton for his six walks. Senior Andrew Mariniello tied an eight-year old record for runs with five.

No single player stood out since everyone who stepped into the batter’s box took part in the fun. Bok went 2-4 with three RBI’s and three runs. Mariniello added three hits, five runs, an RBI, and a stolen base. Cassese belted three hits, drove in four, and scored three times while Elliot added another three hits, three RBI’s, four runs and a stolen base.

Sophomore lefthander Matt Arizin evened his record at 2-2 despite allowing ten runs in seven innings and sophomore reliever Kieth Asato finished the game, putting Delaware State out of its misery.

Head Coach Kirk Mason sympathized with the Hornets of Delaware State: “When things are going badly, they keep going bad.”

The next day, Thursday, things were going badly for the Hoyas, and they kept going bad in their 17-5 loss to Mount St. ary’s Mountaineers. The game was simply ugly. Twenty-two runs were scored, 29 hits were surrendered, eight errors were committed, and one collision between Hoya shortshop Jeremy Harowitz and third baseman Mariniello knocked both out of the game.

In the first start of his collegiate career, freshman Kevin cNee allowed three earned runs in six innings. Mason had to use four more pitchers, including his starting second baseman Corman and outfielder Cassese to finish the game for the Hoyas.

Asked if he was worried about his pitching staff going into Big East play after it sported an ERA of 14.00 over the last two games, ason responded: “No, exactly the opposite, I couldn’t be more pleased with the way our pitching is going.We’ve had a lot of question marks answered now that we know Kevin [McNee], Josh [Corman], and Brian [Cassese] are capable of pitching at this level.”

Offensively, Eric Sutton’s two-RBI double in the fifth inning lifted his team to within a run. The Mountaineers five-run seventh ended any chance of victory for the Hoyas.

Nick Lascola led the Mountaineers with four RBI’s and a run.

The Hoyas are 8-8 and face Holy Cross in a doubleheader this Saturday to be played on Harbin Field starting at noon.