Tennis:

Georgetown Men, Women Drop Two Apiece

By Sarah Walsh Hoya Staff Writer

Last weekend was a difficult and disappointing weekend for both Georgetown tennis teams. Each team lost two meets, with the men falling to Swathmore and George Mason and the women losing to Rutgers and Howard.

On Saturday, the men played their first outdoor match the season at Swathmore, but the mild weather was one of the few highlights of the day. The Hoyas fell 5-2 to the Garnet, starting out strong, but faltering in the end.

Junior Dave Boyer and freshman Ken Jordan turned in a win for the Hoyas at No. 2 doubles, but losses at both the No. 1 and No. 3 levels put Georgetown at a disadvantage.

The outlook seemed a little better after senior Justin Berman won the No.1 singles match 6-3, 6-1, and Boyer a tiebreaker to take the No. 5 singles spot 1-6, 6-1, 7-6(3).

However, more losses in singles competition prevented the Hoyas from ever gaining an advantage over the Garnet. Two matches proved extremely frustrating to the Hoyas. Freshman Nick Sklavounos suffered a close 6-2, 2-6, 7-6(6) defeat at the No. 2 spot and Jordan lost a tight 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(3) match at No. 4 singles.

Sunday was no better for Georgetown when they played host to George Mason.

Boyer and Jordan once again played solidly at second doubles, winning 9-7. The only other wins for the Hoyas came from Jordan, who won the No. 5 singles spot 6-3, 6-3, and junior Beau Brewer who took No. 6 singles spot in a tiebreaker 6-3, 2-6, 7-6(4).

Berman was unable to match his previous success, losing 7-5, 6-2 at the No. 1 singles spot. Sklavounos also fell, losing 6-7, 6-2 in the No. 2 singles match, while freshman Andre Benjamin lost 7-5, 6-4 at the No. 3 spot.

These losses bring the men’s record to 2-8. Over spring break, the men’s team will compete meets against Charleston Southern, Austin Peay, Temple and Seton Hall, all held in South Carolina.

Over the weekend, the women’s team benefited from a decent showing in singles competition, but it was not enough to overcome repeated losses in doubles competition. On Saturday, Rutgers soundly defeated their Big East rival Georgetown 7-2.

The Knights opened the meet by winning all three doubles matches to take a 3-0 lead over the Hoyas.

The Hoyas were more fortunate in singles competition, winning two out of the six matches. Sophomore Megan Crotty won the No. 1 spot 7-6(2), 6-3, and junior Ayana Brooks had a strong 6-2, 6-0, win at the No. 6 spot.

More losses on the singles side were unable to prevent the Hoyas from suffering a loss, however. Junior Missy Mendes lost 7-6(5), 6-3, at the No. 2 spot and freshman Caroline Marshall lost 6-4, 6-4 at No.3

The women played host to crosstown rival Howard on Sunday, but started off again losing all three doubles matches.

Crotty once again contributed with a win at No. 1 singles, winning 6-2, 6-0. Marshall added Georgetown’s second team point with a 7-6(5), 6-0, win at No. 3 singles. Freshman Rachel Laitala gave support with her 5-7, 6-3, 7-6(4) win at the No. 5 spot.

The other matches were well played, but in the end the Hoyas were unable to pull off the win.

The women will join the men in South Carolina over spring break to face Slippery Rock, Evansville, Charleston Southern, and Bucknell.