Georgetown Medals at Va. Tech Invite

The Georgetown track and field team left its mark at the Virginia Tech Invitational last weekend in Blacksburg, Va., setting records and grabbing medals across the board.

Junior Kandace Ferguson led the effort as she broke her own Georgetown record in the 300-meter dash, clocking in at 39.45 seconds for the top collegiate time and second overall in the race. Independent runner Monica Hargrove ran in 37.56 for the top spot. In the same event, Georgetown sophomore Ashley Hubbard recorded a time of 40.19, which was also under the old school record of 40.22 held by Ferguson.

“Ashley actually broke the school record first, then Kandace came back in the next heat to break it again. . Hubbard had a nice day running both the 300 and 400 and splitting 56 in the relay,” said Ron Helmer, director of cross country and track and field.

Ferguson also competed in the 400m dash, in which she finished behind Hubbard as the pair notched both Big East and ECAC qualifying times of 56.72 and 57.42 respectively. Junior Nichole Torpey won her heat of the 400m dash in a time of 58.85 while sophomore Alex Baptiste finished second in her heat with a time of 58.73.

Maggie Infeld continued her impressive sophomore season as she won the 1000m run with a personal best time of 2:49.39. Freshman Lise Ogrodnick finished third in the same race with a time of 2:54.93.

Infeld also competed in the 800m run, where she took third place with fellow Hoya senior Meghan O’Neil just behind in fourth place. They crossed the line with respective times of 2:11.60 and 2:13.05.

Junior Elizabeth Maloy was another Hoya to turn in a winning performance. Maloy finished first in the 5000m run in 17:22.6. Freshman Natasha Labeaud finished behind in second place with a time of 18:00.8.

The quartet of junior Nana Hanson Hall, senior Erin Henry, freshman Buky Bamigboye and O’Neil teamed up to compete in the distance medley relay where they took fourth place with a time of 12:09.88.

Freshamn Avril Ogrodnick raced in the one-mile run, where she took second place with a time of 4:52.69.

Junior Ashley Mondie continued to jump consistently as she placed fourth in the triple jump with a leap of 39-foot-8.5.

To cap off the meet, Ferguson, Hanson-Hall, Hubbard and Bambigoye competed in the 4x400m relay, where they captured fourth place with a time of 3:52.74.

The men’s team performed equally as impressive as they grabbed a handful of medals.

The Hoyas’ newest sprint sensation, freshman Kenny itchell, raced to a 6.91 performance in the 60m dash, close to his personal best of 6.89. Mitchell also notched a Big East qualifying mark in the 200m dash with his time of 22.30.

The Hoyas placed three runners in the 1000m race as junior Matt Debole led the charge with a 2:25.12 performance, the best collegiate time of the meet. Juniors Rasheed Thompson and Brian Dalpiaz finished third and fourth with respective times of 2:29.00 and 2:29.20. The race was won by recently turned-pro Georgetown senior Chris Lukezic in a time of 2:21.47. Lukezic is sponsored by Reebok. All three runners qualify for the Big East championships and Debole qualified for the IC4A championships as well.

Freshman Terrell Gissendanner added another notch to his impressive freshman campaign with two performances in the long jump and the triple jump. He leapt to a personal best and IC4A qualifying jump of 47-foot-2.5 in the triple jump while soaring 22-foot-5 in the long jump.

“Terrell had a great day, he PRed [personal record] in both jumps and I think he may even be leading the Big East in the triple jump,” Helmer said. Gissendanner’s jump at the Invitational does lead the Big East, edging out Rutgers senior Rowan Clarke’s 46-foot-10.5 jump in early January.

In the 800m race, senior Tommy Manning was the top finisher with a time of 1:51.62. A slew of Hoyas finished just behind as senior Chris Bonner, Thompson and Debole finished closely with times of 1:54.45, 1:54.49 and 1:54.71. The trio finished with the third, fourth and fifth fastest times of the meet and qualified for both Big East and IC4A Championships. Bonner also competed in the 300m dash were he sped to a 34.92 finish.

Sophomore Dan Nunn had another top Hoya finish in the 3000m run. He was the first collegiate finisher and garnered both Big East and IC4A qualifying marks with this time of 8:24.75, a personal best.

Seniors Fleet Hower and Chris Esselborn posted Big East qualifying times in the mile run with respective times of 4:14.54 and 4:16.76.