Newly -Elected GUSA Executives Offer Direction, Thanks

By Tawan Davis and Jacques Aresenault

First of all, thank you to all of the students, faculty and staff who were involved in the recent GUSA executive elections. Over the last few weeks, wehave talked to scores of Georgetown leaders, groups and individuals who have voiced the need to address issues of funding, overpopulation, community, diversity and violence on campus. We shared concrete ideas to approach these problems and were encouraged by your warm responses and suggestions.

There are those who see the political process as an end in itself instead of a means of achieving worthwhile results. However, through the campaign process and through the election, all of the candidates were cordial and shared a certain camaraderie. Having made the commitment to pursue GUSA’s leadership, they have shown real dedication to Georgetown and to her students. We look forward to working on the same team with them in the coming year.

It is most important to recognize all of you that participated by casting a vote for the candidate of your choice. Many of you, including upperclass members, voted for the first time in a student election. No matter whom you voted for, the fact that you voted shows recognition of Georgetown’s need for strong student leadership through this transitional period. You may or may not know that a considerable percentage of your votes were not counted because of the decision not to consider as valid partial renderings like “T + J.” Still, whatever the level and motivation of your participation, it counts.

This year, the student media did Georgetown a great service by urging students’ attention to and participation in the election and its issues. Many of the campus’ major publications interviewed candidates, talked to students or endorsed a ticket.

In light of so many recent events, we all know that this has been a particularly trying year at Georgetown. Faced with these challenges, the current executives, President Ron Palmese (MSB ’00) and Vice President Denis Scott (MSB ’00), have maintained a positive attitude and a cooperative working relationship with students and administrators. Georgetown is grateful to them for all of their hard work and commitment. Along with administrators and faculty, they have tried to navigate the university through these uniquely tumultuous times.

Finally, our deepest debt is to those of you who worked hard and closely with us because you are our friends and because you believe that we can have a positive impact on the university. You stayed up late, got up early and talked non-stop to friends, neighbors, classmates and perfect strangers about what we were trying to do. We owe our success and the year ahead to each of you.

Now the real work begins. Next year’s leadership promises to be full of good ideas and good people. However, we are all members of GUSA and to accomplish what the students have asked us to do will take as many people as will lend their time, energy and talent to the issues our university faces. We will come to the student body for input on several key initiatives and to learn what you see as the concerns most needing address. Each student may be more involved by voting, responding to surveys, attending open forums, discussing ideas and issues and by participating actively in GUSA. There are several openings for positions in diverse areas of interest. The April 5 GUSA representative elections provide another opportunity to carefully consider choices for student leadership and cast another vote for moving Georgetown in the right direction. Help us to lead GUSA from mere politics to clear purpose. This is our school, and together we make it better.

Tawan Davis is a junior in the College and president-elect of GUSA. Jacques Arsenault is a junior in the College and is vice president-elect of GUSA.

Have an opinion on this subject? Submit a letter to the Editor.