Georgetown Gets Second Helping of Hornets

By Stephen Owens Hoya Staff Writer

The Hoyas capped off another wild week of baseball on Thursday with a 16-15 win over Delaware State, the team off which they mustered an unprecedented 32 runs last week.

In the two games the teams played against each other, they scored a combined 74 runs. In addition to the win on Thursday, the Hoyas romped Coppin State 12-2 and lost to Shenandoah 12-11. The Hoyas bumped their record to 12-9.

On Thursday, Delaware State’s 10-run fourth inning wasn’t enough to prevent the Hoyas from their fourth win in five games. The game was highlighted by poor defense, as the teams committed a combined 14 errors. Of the 31 runs scored in the game, 18 were unearned.

Freshman Eric Sutton started the game for the Hoyas, yielding two runs, only one earned, in three innings. Freshman Kevin McNee and senior Rich Agnowski pitched the 10-run fourth inning, but it was poor defense more than poor pitching that attributed for the runs, as the Hoyas committed three errors in the inning. Senior closer Ben Becchetti made his longest and most impressive outing of the year, going 4 innings and fanning 5 to earn his first win of the year.

Blodgett led the Hoyas on offense with three RBI’s and a run while Mignogna and Harowitz contributed three runs apiece. Cassese added a pair of hits, both doubles, RBI’s and runs.

Home runs from Dion Miller and Ricky Mosley were not enough for the Hornets to surpass the Hoyas 16-run total.

On Wednesday, the Hoyas overcame an 8-2 deficit and tied the game at 11 in the bottom of the ninth before losing it in the bottom half of the inning by means of Geoff Williams’ RBI single off Hoya freshman Tony Pina.

Sophomore pitcher Matt Arizin lasted 3-1/3 innings, surrendering eight runs, while striking out five. Senior Rich Angowski earned the loss.

Freshman first baseman and sophomore catcher Patrick Wade led the Hoyas on offense. Sutton went 4-for-5, adding 3 hits and 2 RBIs, including a home run, while Wade belted a homer of his own. Freshman outfielder Jon Blodgett contributed three hits and a run to the Hoya’s comeback effort.

Shenandoah’s Keever Davis was the star of the day, clobbering two home runs to give him four RBI’s on the day. Catcher Dave Galford tallied four RBI’s as well, whacking 4 hits, one a home run, and scoring 3 runs.

Tuesday, sophomore starter Randy Erwin, and seniors Franklin Jarman and John Roche combined to allow the Eagles just 2 runs and 5 hits. Erwin evened his record at 3-3, retiring all six batters he faced, striking out five of them, before being relieved by Jarman. Jarman pitched the next 6 innings, striking out 5 batters himself.

Offensively, senior outfielder Sean Mignogna led the Hoyas with three RBIs. Junior second baseman Josh Corman, freshman outfielder Brian Cassese, first baseman Eric Sutton, and senior shortstop Jeremy Harowitz scored two runs each en route to the Hoyas 11th victory this season.

With the win, the Hoyas denied the Eagles their first victory of the season, knocking their record down to 0-13-1.

This weekend, the Hoyas embark on their 25-game Big East schedule this Saturday when they play host to St. John’s for a doubleheader on Harbin Field at noon. On Monday, Georgetown’s Big East season continues when they travel to West Orange, N.J., to battle Seton Hall for another doubleheader.