Georgetown Gears up to Face Bucknell

When the Georgetown football team faces Bucknell tomorrow, it hopes history will be on its side.

In 2002, the Hoyas defeated the Bison in a come-from-behind win, capturing their first Patriot League victory since joining the league in 2001. The win served as a landmark for the success of Hoya teams heading into a new era of football at Georgetown.

The Hoyas (1-3, 0-2 Patriot) will look to renew that success coming off three straight losses heading into this week. The Bison (2-1, 0-0 Patriot), conversely, are hot right now, having won two consecutive games, including a 42-13 romp of Columbia last week.

Although Georgetown has struggled recently, Head Coach Bob Benson said he is focusing on the team’s potential.

“We are not far away from having some success,” Benson said. “I have been on some teams that have struggled to begin the season before, and it’s a lot different feeling here.”

Last week the Hoyas were shut out by then-no. 10 Colgate, 33-0, and combined for a mere 149 yards of total offense. The Hoyas have also suffered from injuries to key players on the offensive line and in the backfield, which has been a major setback for the team.

“One of the things people don’t realize is how banged up our offensive line is,” Benson said.

Hoya senior offensive tackle Jon Cummings and junior running back Kim Sarin, who both incurred injuries against Colgate last week, will return tomorrow at 100 percent, giving the Hoyas added power up front and in the backfield.

Sophomore quarterback Keith Allan will start again this week against Bucknell’s dynamic defense, although Benson did not rule out the possibility of mixing up the rotation at the position with senior Drew Crawford and North Carolina sophomore transfer Nick Cangelosi, who has been learning the offense as well.

The Hoyas had a below par day, hitting receivers for only 48 yards passing against Colgate with two interceptions and no touchdowns.

“We are trying to get our quarterbacks to play with more confidence, whether it is Keith or Drew we are trying to get one of them to feel good about what they are doing,” Benson said.

The Hoya defense returns to campus to butt heads with one of the best offenses in the Patriot League. The Bison run a double-slot, option offense in which the quarterback is the key player.

For Bucknell, senior signal caller Darius Wilson is the threat to be reckoned with. Wilson led the Bison in both rushing and passing with 121 yards on the ground and 112 yards in the air against Columbia.

“Wilson is probably the fastest player in the Patriot League,” Benson said. “We are going to try to focus on him, but if you focus on him too much they have a lot of other weapons.”

The Hoya linebacking core, anchored by junior Mehdi Hassan, will have its hands full as the Bison racked up 422 yards rushing against Columbia on only 64 attempts. The Hoya defense, whose strength lies in its run defense, should provide a formidable obstacle for the Bison.

Kickoff is slated for 1 p.m. tomorrow on Harbin Field.