Three championships gave both the men’s and women’s cross country teams plenty to do this weekend.

At the 2007 NCAA Cross Country Championship, both teams represented Georgetown at the national level amidst a 31-team field that featured 258 runners. Overall, the individual championship was claimed by Liberty University’s Josh McDougal. The senior held off hard-charging Galen Rupp, a senior from Oregon. Led by Rupp, Oregon claimed its first title since 1977.

For the Hoyas, the men’s squad was led by redshirt sophomore Andrew Bumbalough and senior Matt Debole and finished 14th overall with a score of 398 points. Redshirt sophomore Mike Krisch (57th), red-shirt junior Justin Scheid (69th) and freshman Ayalew Taye (212th) rounded out the scoring for the Hoyas.

On the women’s side, Texas Tech’s junior Sally Kipyego took out the first mile in a blistering 4:40 and never looked back en route to her second straight individual championship. For the team championship, the Stanford Cardinal took its third straight title in three years. For the Blue and Gray, senior Melissa Grelli turned in an outstanding performance and placed 10th overall to lead the Hoyas to 28th place. Senior Liz Maloy (58th), red-shirt senior Joanna Rodgers (135th), red-shirt junior Maggie Infeld (152nd) and red-shirt junior Lise Ogrodnick (166th) scored for the women.

At the IC4A Championships in the Bronx, N.Y., Georgetown, led by individual champion senior Dan Nunn, took home the team championship with a commanding 38 points. Scoring for the Hoyas were red-shirt junior Alex Mason (2nd), senior Rasheed Thompson (7th), sophomore Alex Bean (9th) and sophomore Owen Boyle (20th).

The women competing in the ECAC Championship, also in the Bronx, N.Y., took fourth place in the 12-team field. The Hoyas’ top five consisted of junior Avril Ogrodnick (9th), sophomore Kelsey almquist (10th), junior Natasha LaBeaud (19th), sophomore Amanda Walsh (49th) and junior Kailin Collins (55th).