Georgetown Faces the Quiet After the Storm

Recent Activites Build Community After Turbulent Times

By Blake Roberts

Don’t even read this article. Trust me, don’t waste your time. It’s about nothing. Yes, that’s right, so was Seinfeld. While Seinfeld was funny, this article isn’t. So for the love of all that is good and decent, don’t read it. This article will be boring and mundane, featuring a failed attempt to make a clever observation and then expand on it further. So if you are still reading now, continue at your own risk against my better judgement. Just be sure you aren’t near any heavy machinery.

I’m writing this article about not having anything to write about because it’s due in a couple of hours, and I don’t have anything to write about. Not a thing. (Here comes the failed attempt to make a clever observation): The odd thing is that it’s nice to have nothing to write about after the year Georgetown’s had. It’s been a while since our campus’s front gate has been besieged by local media with over-sprayed hair and inflated egos trying to make a story out of issues on our campus.

A glance at the front page of The Hoya the past few issues reveals that comparatively little has been going on. While it was great that Puffy’s Georgetown history and Lynn Conway’s appointment as new university archivist were front-page news, one can’t help but think they wouldn’t have received too much coverage a month or two ago. Thank God that some time has passed without another event ripping apart our campus and battering the soul of our community. Although we’re still picking up the debris, it appears the storm has passed and we can finally rebuild.

Compared to the issues of the past year, the slow and quiet construction of community on campus is a difficult topic to write on. The success of the new GUSA administration has left the cynics among us with little to write about.

At the same time, there are few controversial issues that call for the verbal sparring on the same scale as did the questions of alcohol, diversity and hate on our campus. Many issues have come to a resolution of sort. We’re out of the FLA and the Georgetown Unity Coalition is working with the administration to create constructive policies to address diversity issues on campus. Things have gotten quiet.

It’s difficult to write an interesting viewpoint on the small incremental steps that have been taken to construct community on campus. Fountain Day was a great event, just the kind of thing we need more of, but you can’t very well base a column around it. Lot’s of little things have been done to build community.

Last Friday an ecumenical Stations of the Cross brought most of the campus’s Christian groups, Protestant and Catholic alike, together for a journey of reflection. The Jewish community hosted an interfaith seder. The new Catholic Student Association held its first meeting in the week after the first annual HoyaSibs weekend. Springfest took place last week, and the Georgetown Program Board hosted a sold-out concert this weekend. The Rocky Horror Picture Show graced Copley Lawn with its presence, and we have a highly visible new GUSA administration.

We’ll be hearing about our new vice president of student affairs soon. I know I’ve left a lot out, but to list everything positive that has occurred on campus would take the duration of this column. And that’s the whole point: A lot of little things are happening that may not attract much attention now but are the beginnings of a stronger sense of community later.

Which still doesn’t leave me with much of anything to write about. Part of me feels guilty that with all the injustice in the world, I can’t pick a single issue to write something on. Maybe I’ve become desensitized to it. Hate is a huge problem, but I think everyone on campus is sick of hearing about it, so I doubt an article on that would do much good. And the end of the year hardly seems to be the appropriate or effective time to bring up a new issue. It could be that I’m apathetic.

Nevertheless, I think the more likely answer is that I, like Georgetown, need a break from all the craziness of the past year. We’ve got a chance to catch our breath, relax a little bit, maybe do some schoolwork and start laying the foundations that will make us stronger the next time the storm descends upon our campus.

So there you go, an article about nothing. I’m not advocating any changes, and I’m not calling for further discussion of the issue. I told you not to read this because I don’t want to rock the boat at all, and I don’t want any of you to change what you are doing. Pay no attention to me, Georgetown, and just carry on with what you are doing. It looks like it may be working.

Blake Roberts is a sophomore in the College.

Have an opinion on this subject? Submit a letter to the Editor.