The Hoyas’ offensive woes continued as Georgetown (18-30) dropped its fourth game in row and seventh of 10 on Wednesday in a doubleheader with area rival George Mason (15-25) at George Mason Field in Fairfax, Va.

In the first game Georgetown was shut out for the third straight contest as the Hoyas managed to string together only three hits in seven innings, two of which came off the bat of sophomore first baseman Demetria Cipriano. The Coral Springs, Fla. native led the offense, going 5-for-7 on the day, bringing her batting average to .318 on the season. Sophomore Jennifer Connell looked silky smooth through the first five innings for the Hoyas, allowing only two hits and no runs, but in the bottom of the sixth a combination of errors and clutch hitting from the Patriots aided a George Mason explosion.

The Patriots loaded the bases to start the inning before sophomore first baseman Ashli Breau ended the scoreless tie. Breau, a Mason March Athlete of the Month, laced a double to the right-center gap to clear the bases. Breau came into score after a single from sophomore pitcher Becky Anderson, making it 4-0. After a pair of errors and singles the score ballooned to 8-0 inducing a run-rule victory for Mason.

“We collapsed defensively,” Georgetown Head Coach Pat Conlan said. “Neither team hit the ball well, and we had a couple of mistakes that led to an ugly inning.”

Anderson, the reigning Colonial Athletic Association Pitcher of the Week, notched the victory, allowing only three hits while facing just 24 batters in her six innings of work. Connell (13-21) allowed eight runs – only four of which were earned -, taking the loss.

In game two the Hoyas finally snapped their 21-inning scoreless streak when sophomore shortstop Samantha Peters smashed her team-leading 12th home run of the season, putting Georgetown up 1-0 in the top of the first. But the Patriots were quick to respond as sophomore centerfielder Shaniqua Steele reached on an infield single, one of her six hits on the day. After two fielders’ choices advanced Steele to third base, the Hoyas revived their sloppy play from the first game. A fielding error – the Hoyas’ first of the game and fifth of the afternoon – brought Steele across home plate to knot the score at one in the bottom of the first. George Mason took a 2-1 advantage in the bottom of the third thanks to a double from junior catcher Sarah Martin.

After the Patriots added two more in the bottom of the fifth to take a 4-1 advantage, it looked bleak for the Hoyas. However, Georgetown showed some spark in the top of the sixth when freshman catcher Jillian Webb singled up the middle to drive in freshman infielder Kristi Preuss. Cipriano kept the rally going with a clutch single to drive in senior leftfielder Brittany Sonnichsen to bring the Blue and Gray to within one run at 4-3.

George Mason, however, had enough gas left in the tank to stave off the Hoya rally as the Patriots added an insurance run in the bottom of the sixth to make it 5-3.

Freshman Melissa Conners delivered another strong effort, allowing four runs, three earned on six hits over 4.0 innings, but the young right-hander still suffered the setback. For the season, Conners owns an impressive 3.63 earned run average with a 2.69 strikeout-to-walk ratio.

The Hoyas hit the road this weekend for a trip up the East Coast to Hamden, Conn. for a date with the Quinnipiac Bobcats (16-28). As for the remainder of the season, Coach Conlan commented that, “We just need to play good softball. We need to put a full game together. There are games we can win, and I like our chances of coming out on the winning side.”

First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m. at Bobcat Field.