By Mike Hume and Sarah Walsh Hoya Staff Writers

The Georgetown baseball team headed into last weekend 0-6 in the Big East but hopeful that the weekend series against conference rival Seton Hall would improve that record. The team almost succeeded with an extra-innings contest in the first game of Saturday’s doubleheader. But by Sunday, the Hoyas had amassed three more losses and fallen to an 0-9 record in the Big East.

The effort improved on the mound for the Hoyas, but it wasn’t enough to capture their first win in the Big East or snap their losing streak which now stands at eight, their longest of the season. The Pirates of Seton Hall downed the Hoyas 5-4, 8-5 and 5-2 in the three game series at the Georgetown Baseball Stadium.

The scheduled shortened first game of the doubleheader saw the Hoyas nearly clinch that elusive first conference victory. Seton Hall grabbed the lead in the first inning when first baseman Alfie Critelli had a two-run hit. The Pirate offense followed up with two homers, by center fielder Mike Bascom and second baseman Joe Cuervo.

With the Hoyas’ offense stagnant the entire game, the Pirates held that 4-0 advantage going into the seventh and final inning. With two outs left in the bottom of the inning, sophomore Mike Green, pinch hitting for freshman shortstop Matt Carullo, ignited Georgetown with a line drive to left field, scoring freshman John Perko. After an error by Seton Hall pitcher Isaac Pavlik, junior second baseman Jay Catalano also crossed the plate, bringing the score to 4-1.

The game was tied when junior Eric Santana (2 for 4, two RBI), then singled down the right field line to score Green and junior Jim Vankoski.

The Pirates took the game back in the top of the ninth when Vankoski (8 1/3 innings, 5 runs, 10 hits, 1 BB, 3 K) gave up an RBI double from catcher Adam Arslanian. Georgetown was unable to continue their offensive run, however, and the Pirates took game one of the series, 5-4.

Chris Reilly took the win for Seton Hall, going 2 1/3 innings and posting four strikeouts.

Game two started off more auspiciously for the Hoyas, who scored three runs in the first inning. Santana led the scoring with a single to centerfield, scoring Carullo. Designated hitter Green then hit one down the right field line to bring both Santana and Vankoski (playing centerfield for the second game) home. The Hoyas ended the inning with a 3-0 advantage, but it was to be short-lived.

Pirates third-baseman Ray Navarrete had a two-run double in the third inning to bring Seton Hall in the game. Georgetown answered when senior left fielder Josh Corman, who moved from second base into the outfield, had a one-run sacrifice fly bringing junior Brian Cassese home and giving the Hoyas a 4-2 advantage.

The Hoyas the lead going into the fourth inning, but the Georgetown pitching could not suppress the Seton Hall bats. Junior att Arizin, Paul Perillo and sophomore Tony Pina combined for the nine innings, allowing eight runs on twelve hits. Walks were again an issue as the Hoyas combined to issue eight free passes to Seton Hall’s two.

The Pirates had one run in both the fifth and sixth innings, tying the game, but when rightfielder Jeff Miller had a one-run single and Adam Arslanian scored a walked-in run the Pirates took a 6-4 lead and never relinquished it.

Georgetown played another tight one with the Hall Sunday as junior Randy Erwin battled with Seton Hall starting pitcher Damon Ponce de Leon. Erwin pitched well, but his eleven hits and three walks led to five Pirate runs, while Georgetown could only muster two runs on six hits of Ponce de Leon. Carullo and Cassese drove in the only Hoya runs, with Carullo going 2-3 with his first collegiate home run.

After Tuesday’s game against UMES, a team Georgetown defeated soundly 14-5 earlier this season, was post-poned due to rain, the Hoyas will look to end their skid this weekend with a series against Big East foe St. Johns in Jamaica, N.Y. A win this weekend would give the Hoyas a much-needed confidence boost before they continue Big East play the following weekend with a three-game series in Philadelphia against Villanova.