Georgetown Does It Cali Style

By Stephen Owens Hoya Staff Writer

Last week, Georgetown baseball spent its spring break in California, yet Kirk Mason’s ball club received no break from baseball, battling Pacific, Menlo College and Cal State-Hayward. Georgetown won two of three games on the West Coast, lifting them above the .500 mark for just the second time this year. Georgetown lost to Pacific, 4-2, then rebounded by beating Menlo, 8-4, and Hayward, 5-3.

On March 7, The Hoyas put forth a valiant effort, but lost a close one in the last couple innings to Pacific, 4-2. Georgetown tied the game in the top of the eighth inning by means of senior left fielder Sean Mignogna’s second RBI of the game, which drove in pinch hitter Matt Bok from third. The tie score didn’t last long, as Pacific added two runs in the bottom half of the inning, which gave the lead for good.

Despite the loss, sophomore lefty Randy Erwin pitched another fine game, going the distance for the Hoyas while allowing four runs and nine hits.

Offensively, besides Mignona and Bok, junior second baseman Josh Corman, sophomore catcher Pat Wade, and senior right fielder Andy Losty played well, each adding two hits a piece to the Hoyas scoring efforts.

A rematch against Pacific was scheduled for Monday, March 8, but rain washed out the Hoyas chances for revenge and the game was cancelled.

The remainder of the week brought with it better luck as Georgetown earned a victory over Menlo College on Wednesday, March 10. Senior Hoya ace Derek Pines increased his team lead in wins with his third victory of the season, striking out seven along the way. Pines allowed four runs in seven innings, shifting his season ERA to 3.31. Pines currently leads the Hoyas in wins, ERA, strikeouts, (25), and innings pitched (39.2).

Freshman reliever Tony Pina pitched the final two innings for the Hoyas, picking up his second save of the year. Pina has yet to allow a run this year.

Offensively, senior shortstop Jeremy Harowitz led the Hoyas, smacking three hits including a home run.

On Thursday, March 11, Georgetown won its second in a row, beating Cal State Hayward 5-3. For the second day in a row, Harowitz was the star for the Hoyas, going 2-for-4 with three RBI’s. Senior closer Ben Becchetti regained his confidence after a couple shaky outings in row, earning his second save of the season.

Team veteran Rich Angowski spoke highly of the trip.

“It was nice to have a change of venue and play some different teams,” and of course, “Being in California was great. we had one day off and we got to see the city.”