The Georgetown men’s and women’s swim teams opened up the 1998-99 season with crushing victories over Catholic University, with the men’s team winning, 139-61, and the women’s squad cruising to a 133-72 victory. “We beat them fairly easily last year and we are a stronger team than last year,” Head Coach Beth Bower said. “And unless they had the recruiting season of all recruiting seasons, they are a Division III school and we should be beating them.” Bower said she was pleased with the performance of her squads last weekend although she “played with the lineup.” The season began on a winning note for the Hoyas, with both the women’s and men’s 400 medley relay swimming to first place finishes. For the women, the relay comprising freshman Sophia Adkison, junior Meghan Welch, freshmen Lauren Schmidt and Caragh Moynihan touched first with a time of 4:09.10, over seven seconds faster than the second place squad from Catholic. “We had a great medley relay, one of our fastest times in that event,” Bower said. “They were about three seconds off of the record and they are a relay that I think will continue to get stronger.” In the second event, the men’s medley relay made up of junior Brendan Moynihan (brother of Caragh), sophomore Richard Dennis, senior Jun Watanabe and junior John Willey handily defeated the second place Cardinal relay. The Hoyas swam a 3:36.47, while the Cardinals came in with a time of 3:49.34. Welch, a junior breaststroker/individual medley swimmer who qualified for the Speedo Junior National Swimming Championships last season for the Hoyas, finished the meet with three first-place finishes. In addition to the medley relay, Welch scored first-place points in the 200-yard individual medley and the 200-yard breaststroke, with times of 2:13.38 and 2:27.69, respectively. “Meghan is always consistent in her events,” Bower said. “She really led the way in that.” Freshmen Schmidt and Amanda Anderson also racked up three first-place finishes against Catholic. Schmidt swam the butterfly leg of the medley relay and won the 200-yard freestyle and the 200-yard butterfly, with times of 2:01.53 and 2:17.09. Anderson, a promising distance swimmer, won the 1000-yard freestyle and the 500-yard freestyle with times of 11:00.94 and 5:27.40. On the men’s side, Watanabe and Willey finished the meet with three first-place finishes. Watanbe swam the butterfly leg of the winning medley relay, as well as winning the 200-yard individual medley and the 200-yard butterfly, in 2:05.90 and 2:05.88. Willey, who also qualified for the Speedo Junior National Championships and is the Hoyas’ top returning middle distance swimmer, won the 200-yard freestyle and the 500-yard freestyle, swimming to times of 1:48.97 and 4:56.97. The men’s and women’s teams return a strong group of swimmers from last year’s team, and welcomes the addition of 20 freshmen between the men’s and women’s teams. “We’re continuing to add depth,” Bower said. The team has small goals for the season, according to Bower, the most important being to be more competitive in dual meet action. “If we can keep meets within 10 points that we usually get whipped in, that will be good,” Bower said. Bower is anticipating both squads finishing the season at well over the .500 mark, with new meets scheduled against teams such as the College of Charleston and Drexel, while meets against William & Mary and Navy were dropped. Georgetown has two meets this weekend, as they travel across town to face Howard , Friday at 7 p.m. Georgetown is back in the pool Saturday against Rider, 1 p.m. at Yates Field House.