Courtesy Carol-Lynn Winter The Georgetown club ice hockey team triumphantly poses for a photo after winning the MDCHA Championship on Sunday. After winning the Mason-Dixon Collegiate Hockey Association Southern Divsion regular season championship, the Georgetown club hockey team went one step farther and won three consecutive playoff games to claim the MDCHA Championship.

Georgetown began its quest for the title with a crushing 14-3 defeat of American University in the quarterfinals. Sophomore Chass Dorman tallied two goals and three assists to lead the lop-sided victory, while sophomore Brian Hern and junior Trevor Martin also added goals. Junior Patrick Winter and grad-student Jason Barker split time between the pipes and turned in strong performances, never allowing American a chance to get back into the game.

Saturday’s contest pitted Georgetown against Wagner, the two top teams coming into the playoffs. The Hoyas stood firm and rode the play of junior Charles Carson, sophomore Tucker Martin, junior Pete McLaughlin and freshman goalie Casey Yarger to the 6-1 victory.

“It was the best team effort all year,” Winter said of Georgetown’s performance. “Wagner is a team that is not used to playing from behind. So, we stayed on them and eventually put the nail in the coffin with three early third period goals.”

Winter also cited the tight defensive effort turned in by the Hoyas.

The win over Wagner set the stage for the championship game against Navy on Sunday in Frederick, Md. Winter commented that Georgetown was eager to face Navy as there had been some bad blood between the teams.

“For the last three years we’ve played some close, physical games,” Winter said.

Georgetown and Navy did not meet in the regular season.

The Midshipmen played a tough defensive style of hockey but still could not prevent Hern and Martin from slipping in three goals that would prove to be the difference in the game. Yarger again played a solid game in net before Winter relieved him for the final minutes. The combined shutout was the second of the season for Georgetown.

“It was nothing short of domination resulting from a will to win,” Winter said.

Georgetown won the Southern Division regular season title with a record of 10-1. This is the third MDCHA title for Georgetown in the past five years.