Georgetown Bedeviled by Duke in Weekend Play

Sixth-Ranked Hoya Women Fall to Devils

By Sean Gormley Hoya Staff Writer

After a 4-0 start to the season, the Georgetown women’s lacrosse team has faltered as of late, losing consecutive games to the teams currently ranked second and third in the nation. On Saturday, the Hoyas fell to then fifth-ranked Duke by a 13-9 margin, dropping Georgetown’s record to 4-2.

Despite the loss, the Hoyas remained entrenched in sixth in the IWLCA poll released on Monday, only three points behind fifth-ranked North Carolina, 121 points to 118, while the victory jumped Duke to No. 3.

The Hoyas got off to a strong start, with junior midfielder Sarah Oglesby putting Georgetown onto the scoreboard two minutes into play. Duke quickly responded, however, with freshman attacker Lauren Gallagher putting two shots into the back of the net in a three-minute span, two of her five goals on the day.

Senior attack Kristen Baer knotted the score at two for Georgetown, after which the Hoyas and Blue Devils exchanged a pair of goals apiece.

With 8:30 left in the first half, Oglesby had a breakaway for Georgetown and attempted a behind-the-back shot, but sophomore Duke goalie Kristen Foster came up with the save on the spectacular shot. Duke was not impressed, however.

In the Duke Chronicle, Blue Devils coach Kersitn Kimel said “That’s a joke. Our kids are really competitive and that had to eat at them at some point . It’s like ‘You guys think that you’re that good and that you can come in here and try a behind-the-back shot.'”

The Blue Devils responded with a goal-scoring fury, scoring the last two goals of the first half and the first two goals of the second half to take an 8-4 lead. Senior attack Tricia Martin scored the two goals before the break and Gallagher notched the two immediately after halftime.

Georgetown was not done yet, however. The Hoyas scored three unanswered goals, two from senior attacker Jordan Keating and one from sophomore attacker Erin Elbe, bringing Georgetown back within one goal, 8-7.

That was all she wrote for the Hoyas, as the Blue Devils scored back-to-back goals to take a 10-7 lead and then milked the clock to hold onto it. Freshman middie Liz Ryan and junior middie Caitlan cLean added scores for Georgetown, but the Hoyas had no answer for the Blue Devils’ nonstop attack and lost by four to Duke, 13-9.

The difference in the second Georgetown loss to Duke in as many years was shots on goal. The Devils badly outshot the Hoyas by a 43-27 margin despite Georgetown winning the battle of ground balls and draw controls. Junior Hoya goalie Bowen Holden came up with 18 saves while allowing 13 scores. Duke goalie Kristen Foster only allowed nine goals despite only coming up with nine saves.

Georgetown players continue to put up strong numbers despite the recent losses, with junior attack Sheehan Stanwick averaging 3 goals and 3.83 points per game on 45 percent shooting, while fellow All-American Elbe is putting up 2.17 goals and 2.67 points per game on 41 percent shooting.

The Hoyas have outscored their opponents by more than 40 goals at this point in the season while scoring on 10 percent more of their shots than the opposition, yet there remain lingering questions about whether this team is final four material.

Georgetown has committed 13 more turnovers than their opponents, an average of 2.17 more per game. These mistakes are plaguing the squad, preventing them from rising to the superior level at which they have the potential to play. The Hoyas are a team that has great strength at the skill positions, but it is essential that the fundamentals are not forgotten if Georgetown is to make noise.

Next up for the squad is a respite from top competition, with a 3:30 p.m. meeting tomorrow with unranked Towson on the Tigers’ home field, followed by a Saturday home date with unranked Rutgers. The ball is scheduled to drop Saturday against the Scarlet Knights at 11:30 a.m. up on Kehoe Field.

Related Links

Women’s Lacrosse Page-Women’s Lacrosse Schedule