Amid the imminence of Hurricane Hanna, the Georgetown men’s and women’s golf teams kicked off their fall seasons this weekend.

The men played in the first annual Maryland Intercollegiate, placing 11th of 18 teams, and the women competed in the NCAA Preview, also held in Maryland. The women came in last out of 15 teams.

Competing against a stacked field that included Arkansas, North Carolina and Maryland, the Georgetown men had their work cut out for them in their first event of the season, held at the River Marsh Golf Club.

“Nine of the 18 teams competing were ranked among the nation’s top 50 teams so we knew we were facing a stiff test,” men’s Head Coach Thomas Hunter said.

The hurricane warnings did little to ease the tough conditions, and the men’s season opener was shortened to two rounds due to Hanna’s heavy rains.

Senior Tim Hager showed that he’s lost little steam since last spring, leading the Hoyas in the morning round with a 1-over 72. He again came out strong in the afternoon with an even-par round of 71, posting a combined score of 1-over 143 to finish in the top 20 individual standings.

Hager was followed by senior teammate Garrett Logan and new addition Brian Dorfman, who contributed two round scores of 146 and 148, respectively.

“Timmy Hager had a brilliant tournament – placing in the top 20 at this event is something to be very proud of,” Hunter said. “We have a lot of faith in Timmy’s ability, and he will certainly continue to produce impressive numbers this year.”

The Hoyas finished in a tie for 11th place in the field of 18, 45 strokes back from the tournament’s winner, Arkansas.

“Finishing tied for 11th might not seem all that impressive, but we were pleased with the outcome,” Hunter said. “We have some areas to improve on. . We left a few putts and short shots out there that we would have liked to have back.”

The Georgetown men play next at the John Dallio Memorial Tournament in late September.

The women also played through the threats of unfriendly weather conditions this weekend at the Caves Valley Golf Club in Maryland.

“Our practice round got rained out, but the conditions were great, and we had two great days to play golf once the storm passed through,” Head Coach Patty Post said.

Seniors Chelsea Curtis and Carly Hunt finished on top of the Hoyas’ scorecard, turning in matching three-round scores of 27-over par, 243.

“I think they were capable of finishing much higher in this event,” Post said. “I wasn’t disappointed in them, but I know they were disappointed in themselves. Chelsea’s swing was just a little off, and Carly’s driver was kind of leading her awry on the course.”

The senior duo was followed by sophomore Robyn English with a 36-over tournament score of 252, and freshman Eunae Jo, who carded a 37-over 253 in her first event as a collegiate athlete.

“Eunae had a great first round, but she’s never played 36 holes before so she kind of petered out a little bit on the course in the second round,” Post said.

The Hoyas’ combined team score of 985 left the team at the back of the 15-team field, over 100 strokes back from winner Arizona State. The team’s bottom-of-the-heap finish may be due to the tough competition, which featured some of the best teams in the country. University of Southern California, the tournament’s runner up, is ranked first in the nation, and eight of the 13 other teams are ranked in the top 10 in the NCAA.

“We haven’t played a top-20 team since I’ve been the coach here, so to have that strength of field was awesome,” Post said. “It was a great learning experience for the kids.”

Post added that it was tough for the Hoyas to have their first tournament of the year be so competitive.

Still, Post has high hopes for the team this fall. “I think we’re going to have a great year,” she said. “I expect us to win at some point in time this year. . There is no limit for these girls and I think they’ll do great.”

The Hoyas will travel to New Jersey next weekend to compete in the Princeton Invitational.