POINT OF ORDER Generation Y Has Right to Speak Freely Free Chicken Madness! Read on!

And that, dear reader, is the beginning of a good sign. Get the person’s attention.

No matter what sort of axe you want to grind, free speech and those who wish to exercise their right to it are alive and well at Georgetown. I spent the better part of last week creating and putting up signs advertising a radio show with my co-host, and have come to find it very . refreshing.

Didn’t do so hot on the Multivariable Calculus midterm? Go plaster Copley’s walls. Don’t want to read for Political Theory just yet? New South could use some more signs. Can’t decide between taking a nap or writing a term paper? I don’t think I’ve quarter-sheeted LXR yet.

While some may view me exercising my First Amendment rights as procrastination, I view it as a testament to the character of Georgetown students. Further, it’s a pretty good test of my sense of humor to make signs equal to the “Fernicate” or “There are Catholic Hoyas, too” (imagine that!) level of hilarity. Ah yes, we Georgetown kids are nothing if not witty.

We are also, when it comes to citizens making their views known, in the minority.

Speaking as a transfer student, I have a fair knowledge of my prior institution, not to mention the knowledge I have gleaned from other transfers. Grouse as you will about the prohibition on anonymous publications, Georgetown has one of the most thought- and conversation-provoking free speech policies around. My co-host (another transfer) and I spent a great deal of our sign-posting time speaking in awed tones about Georgetown’s genuine want for your voice. I never realized that aspect of the Hilltop until I made 600 copies of a sign advertising our political radio show on WGTB. It boils down to the fact that Georgetown students care a great deal about being the rainmakers in society. At Michigan State University, eh, it was a nice thing to consider doing if you had time.

If you actually think about it, you realize that people who care about issues, who care about making their opinions known and who are looking for like-minded souls, are in a slim minority among our generation. Yes SFSers, that means you will be the ones who lead the future of America, but what kind of future will this be to lead? A future so apathetic about politics that it can’t even be bothered to learn about a cause, much less join or start one.

As any good Blue and Gray tour guide will tell you, Georgetown has a group for every possible interest. That’s fantastic. But now we have to worry about translating our passion into one experienced by the rest of our Generation Y brethren. And I’ll be flummoxed if there’s any slick sign heading or clever poster that can fix that.

Our generation has been referred to in many ways (rude, lazy, obnoxious, inebriated), but I’m pretty sure that “sleeping giant” has never been one of them. I think that one fits best, though. You see, if our generation would get its act together and be passionate about our world, we would dominate the political scene. No longer would candidates be groveling to the AARP or “soccer moms;” rather, they will be going touring college dorms and wading through mosh pits at concerts. Well, maybe not that far.

The sleeping giant woke up post-Sept. 11. All of us in our own little ways united behind a common feeling and expression. It appears, though, that the eyes of the giant are about to close again and he will soon fall back into the costly slumber of acquiescence.

For a problem like this, there is no quick fix. There is no 500 to 800 word column that can carve out the unrealized potential of a generation not quite sure of its own strength. What we can do, though, is agree to adopt an old, forgotten paradigm into our lives, striving each step of our existence to make it realized by our fellow Y’ers:

WE CAN CHANGE THE WORLD.

Hey, it’s no Chicken Madness, but it’ll get you noticed. Maybe even elected.

Point of Order appears every other Tuesday in The Hoya. The author can be reached at pointoforderthehoya.com.