After smelling gas in Maguire around 11 a.m. this morning, university officials evacuated students from Healy Hall and Maguire.

Both buildings have since been reopened after the scene was deemed safe by the D.C. Fire Department and hazmat officials around 1 p.m.

According to Director of Media Relations Rachel Pugh, the D.C. Fire Department and hazmat officials deployed to the scene discovered that a petroleum based odor was emanating from the sewer area outside of the Maguire and Healy buildings.

D.C. Fire and EMS Spokesman Pete Piringer said that the odor was a result of a fuel spill that had mitigated into fumes.

Library walk was roped off with caution tape at the time, and students with classes in Maguire were told to contact the Registrar for the status of their classes.

According to Fr. Christopher Steck, S.J., who was teaching his 11 a.m. Problem of God class in Maguire today, the fire alarms went off in the building around 11:20 p.m. After relocating his class to the lobby of New South, he sent an email to his 12 p.m. class to reassign their class’s room location. Soon after, he discovered that the Registrar’s office had already accommodated the evacuation switch-up.

“I assumed there wasn’t going to be a back up plan,” Steck said. “I’m impressed that the Registrar’s Office was able to respond as quickly as they did.”

Hoya Staff Writer Mariah Byrne contributed to this report.

Have a reaction to this article? Write a letter to the editor.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*