The Georgetown University FRIENDS Initiative is co-sponsoring a powder puff football game between women

in the junior and senior class committees this Friday at 2 p.m. The winning team will donate the proceeds to its charity of choice, with seniors playing for Breast Cancer Awareness and the junior committee playing for the American Diabetes Association.

Traditional gender roles will be reversed during the football games, as the women will play while the men serve as cheerleaders. The FRIENDS’ Initiative hopes to use the game as a springboard to start a dialogue about women in non-traditional roles. By establishing the powder puff game as a tradition around which the Georgetown community can rally, it expects to “create a vibrant community and greater student ownership of that community,” Megan Krug (NHS ’04) said. “Girls usually don’t play football, but here they are.”

The junior class is donating its funds to the ADA in memory of Sarah McFlynn (COL ’04), who died because of diabetic complications, explained Vanessa Wattles (SFS ’04), a member of the junior girls’ team. Although both teams are competing to donate money to their charity of choice, the funds are split 60-40 so each will receive a donation. Krug said she hopes that the game will maintain the Jesuit tradition of service for others.

Raffle tickets will be sold to earn funds for the donation all this week, and the prizes will be awarded during the game. The grand prize is two round-trip tickets to London; other prizes, all donated by charitable businesses and organizations, include a $100 voucher from the Student Travel Association, an hour-long massage at Aveda and gift certificates to area restaurants such as Third Edition and The Tombs. Free food and drinks will be offered during the game and prizes such as CDs and concert tickets will also be given away.

Organizers said in order to examine the role of women in the 21st century, influential women and faculty were invited to participate in a panel discussion held Nov. 14 in Healy Hall. The purpose of the panel, they said, was to question the traditionally male-defined and dominated corporate and social norms and subsequently re-shape them.

The powder puff game will be the first of what many hope will be an annual tradition where students, faculty and administrators can celebrate Georgetown’s community. The game aims to serve as an opportunity to raise money for charitable causes and increase awareness of women’s empowerment. Krug encourages the entire Georgetown community to “come out and cheer like crazy.”