By Tracy Zupancis Hoya Staff Writer

The National Capital Area Political Science Association awarded Dean of the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service Robert L. Gallucci the annual Pi Sigma Alpha Award on Saturday, March 4. The award recognizes annually a political scientist who has made an important contribution to public service.

During the presentation conference at George Washington University’s Mount Vernon campus, Gallucci was awarded a plaque and an honorarium of $250.

“We were very honored that he received the award,” Secretary/Treasurer of the Association Walter E. Beach said, adding that Gallucci “made some very fine remarks on the relationship between public servants and political scientists and their research. He is involved in both public service and political science, which is what the award is all about.”

Gallucci is out of town this week and was unavailable for comment.

Gallucci graduated from the State University of New York at Stony Brook and earned his MA and Ph.D. in politics from Brandeis University. Prior to working at Georgetown, Gallucci taught at Swarthmore College and the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies. In addition, Gallucci has received fellowships from the Council on Foreign Relations, Harvard University and the Brookings Institution.

In 1996, Gallucci was appointed dean of the School of Foreign Service. For the previous 21 years, he had worked in government, one of his most notable positions being Ambassador at Large with the Department of State from 1994 to 1996.

Two years ago, the Department of State appointed Gallucci as special envoy to deal with the possible threat of the proliferation of ballistic missiles and weapons of mass destruction.

In addition, Gallucci served as assistant secretary of state for political-military affairs and is the author of Neither Peace nor Honor: The Politics of American Military Policy in Vietnam.

According to Beach, Gallucci is the fifth person affiliated with Georgetown University to receive the award. Former professors Evron Kirkpatrick, Howard Penniman and Max Kampelman were honored with the prize. The last person associated with Georgetown to receive the prize was current government professor Jeane Kirkpatrick, who won in 1990.

The National Capital Area Political Science Association was established in 1946, and the Pi Sigma Alpha award has been given annually since 1977.