By Colin RelihanHoya Staff Writer

With a record number of applications, the admissions process for the class of 2005 was the most competitive in Georgetown history.

Applications received for fall 2001 admission increased to 15,327 from last year’s 14,236. This is the 10th consecutive year Georgetown has seen an increase in the quantity of applicants. The applicant pool in 1991 was around 8,700.

“Our challenge is to draw the most exceptional applicants to Georgetown University each year. Our record indicates that we are succeeding at attracting and enrolling a greater proportion of the nation’s most talented and promising students,” said Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Charles Deacon.

Deacon said the university’s reputation, along with positive word of mouth from current students and alumni, is part of the reason for the increase in applicants.

Deacon said the office has already received nearly 2,000 applications for the class of 2006, about two-thirds for Early Action.

Of the 15,327 applications received this year, 21 percent, or 3,196 students, were offered admission. The committees for undergraduate admissions include members of the admissions staff, faculty members, student representatives and deans from all four undergraduate schools.

“I was excited to get in, that’s for sure!” Chris Bobbit (MSB ’05) said. “It was really easy to decide.”

Over 87 percent of applicants accepted this year were in the top 10 percent of their high school class. Approximately 36 percent of the students were ranked first, second or third in their class. From this very selective pool of admitted students, 1,490 applicants decided to become Georgetown students.

Deacon noted this is Georgetown’s largest class ever.

“This class experienced a substantially greater competition for admission,” Deacon said.

He also said he has “high expectations of this group of students.” One attractive aspect of Georgetown’s admission process is the possibility of applying Early Action. Students who apply Early Action have to submit applications by Nov. 1 and are notified of their acceptance or deferral by Dec. 15.

Many freshmen students expressed satisfaction with their decision to apply Early Action.

“Word-up to Early Action! On Dec. 15, I threw away all my other applications,” Kika Pluta (SFS ’05) said.

Students accepted under Early Action have until May 1, the same deadline as regular applicants, to accept or decline enrollment at Georgetown. If a student who applied early is deferred, they are considered again with the regular applicants.

Approximately 20 percent of these students are ultimately offered admission according to the admissions office.

As opposed to the common application used by many universities, Georgetown applicants are asked to fill out an application which is unique to the school.

“The application was pretty short, so it was easy. The essay requirement was great because you got to choose what to write about,” Pluta said.

Another important part of the application process is an interview with a member of one of the Alumni Admissions Program committees. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions has interviewers in every state and in many countries around the world.

“It was the best interview. It was a low pressure setting and she made me feel really comfortable,” Kate Garland (COL ’05) said.