FOOTBALL Foxes Overcome Hoyas In Overtime By Mike Hume Hoya Staff Writer

Coming off a 34-0 loss to Bucknell, the Hoyas foundered again last Saturday, losing to Marist 38-35 in overtime in what Head Coach Bob Benson called “the worst loss in my nine years here.”

Few things went right for the Hoyas as Georgtown Law student placekicker Marc Samuel missed five field goals in what were described as fair conditions, including the potential 33-yard game winner as time expired. Marist dominated the running game both offensively and defensively. Two Marist running backs gained more than 100 yards as Chris Price compiled 161 yards, while Alfred Riullano added 108. Marist’s Jeff Conrow also added 92 yards rushing on the day.

Conversely, the Marist defense held Georgetown’s running backs to 15 net rushing yards, though sophomore Dawon Dicks did rush for 46 yards.

The Hoyas came out flat in the first quarter, spotting the Red Foxes 21 points to begin the game. In its previous two games Marist had only scored a total of two touchdowns. Benson believes that several early Marist third-down conversions may have buoyed the Red Foxes’ spirits and given them the impression that they could prevail against the Hoyas, a team they had never beaten in seven previous tries.

“We let them believe they could win,” said Benson, who blamed himself for the team’s lackluster start.

Georgetown pulled within 13 points at the half as Sean Peterson began what would become an impressive Hoya passing attack. Peterson connected for a touchdown pass to freshman running back John Sims and junior quarterback Dave Paulus found sophomore wide receiver Luke McArdle to bring the score to 21-14. The touchdown was the first of Sims’ Georgetown career. McArdle finished the day with five catches for 85 yards.

Marist’s Alfred Riullano added another touchdown before the expiration of the half, but the Red Foxes failed in their two-point conversion attempt.

The Hoyas capitalized on three Marist turnovers in the second half and stormed back to a 35-27 lead. Peterson converted one turnover into Georgetown points on a one-play, one-yard drive; just under three minutes later, Dawon Dicks broke into the endzone from six yards out to take advantage of another Marist turnover on the Red Fox one-yard line.

Peterson hit senior fullback Aaron Brown for a two-yard pass with 13:14 remaining in the fourth quarter to put the Hoyas ahead. Samuel kicked the extra point to put Georgetown up 35-27.

Georgetown could not hold on, however, and the Hoyas watched as Price burst free for a 51-yard touchdown run and nailed the two-point conversion, tying the game at 35 with just under eight minutes remaining.

Benson lamented his team’s inability to keep the Red Foxes down once the Hoyas had regained the lead.

“We found ourselves with the opportunity to put them away and we didn’t do so,” he said. Benson also cited the early miscues as a deciding factor in the game’s outcome. “By the time we got it all settled, we had made too many mistakes.”

After Marist tied the game, Georgetown had one last chance to prevail, but Samuel’s 33-yard field goal attempt sailed wide and sent the game into overtime. After a Marist interception of a Peterson pass, Brett Biggs kicked a 32-yard field goal to seal the victory.

The five misses by Samuel are highly atypical for the usually sure-footed kicker. Coming into the game against Marist, Samuel had only missed six of 36 attempts.

The loss to Marist is a big one for Georgetown, as it was the first win of the season for the Red Foxes, the last place team in the Metro-Atlantic Athletic Conference – a conference the Hoyas left two years ago in favor of the tougher competition of the Patriot League.

“That was their Super Bowl,” Benson said. “We are a red letter game for them and we didn’t respond very well. By the time we got it all settled we had made too many mistakes.”

“It’s a step back,” he added. “But the best lessons come from the greatest failures.”

Next week the Hoyas will find out if they took the lesson to heart, as they travel across the country to face San Diego. It will be the first ever matchup between the two teams.

2001 Football Team Page Schedule Roster