The window facing out onto the Galleria from Suite 501 of the ICC stands in mute tribute to the life and work of long-time Georgetown professor Gregory Flynn whose time on the Hilltop was cut short last week.

Gregory Flynn

Flynn, 55, died on Nov. 7 at approximately 4 p.m. in the Georgetown University Medical Center, due to complications from hemochromatisis. The disease, with which Flynn was diagnosed in ay, causes the body to store excessive amounts of iron and can cause severe organ damage. Flynn was awaiting a liver transplant at the time of his death.

According to BMW Center director Jeffery Anderson, Flynn spent time in and out of the hospital since his diagnosis and was not teaching any classes this semester, having gone on disability leave from the university on Sept. 1.

Friends and colleagues of Professor Flynn said they will always remember him as a dedicated man – dedicated to his work, his family, his students and his many diverse interests. They will miss his playful side and what one described as his “remarkable ability to connect with his students and everyone around him.”

According to Anderson, at the time of his death, Flynn was working on the final stages of a book, his eighth as either primary author or editor, on sectional issues in European inter-state relations.

“His not getting to finish that book, the world never getting to read it, is a real tragedy,” Anderson said.

A native of Portland, Ore., Flynn came to Georgetown in 1991 as one of the founding faculty members of the BMW Center for German and European Studies. Until 2001, he served as the director of the asters of Arts program at the center and, as the first Director of Programs, played a crucial role in creating curricula.

Economics professor Robert Cumby became close friends with Flynn when he came to Georgetown in 1994. The two met through professional channels, but soon began spending significant amounts of time together off campus and away from school as well.

“Greg had really wide ranging interests. We had fun talking everything from politics to jazz to antique maps,” Cumby said.

Whenever he thinks of his friend, Cumby said, two things come to mind: a mischievous streak and an immense pride in his students.

“When I close my eyes I can see the twinkle in his eye as he was hatching a plan,” Cumby said, audibly shaken. “He really loved life. He loved to laugh. He loved to joke. He loved to smile.”

Anderson agreed. “Greg was an absolutely devoted professor when it came to his students. He was beloved,” he said.

Cumby summarized Flynn’s devotion to his students, saying, “His pride in who they were and how capable and talented they were, those were constant.”

Flynn received his bachelor’s degree from Washington University in St. Louis in 1970. He was selected as a Fulbright Scholar, while studying at the University of Munich, and went on to receive three advanced degrees, Master of Arts, Master of Arts in Law and Diplomacy, and Ph.D. in International Relations, from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy. Before coming to Georgetown, Flynn had a distinguished record, serving at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, the Foreign Service Institute, NATO Defensive College in Rome, the Institute for Defense Analysis, the Atlantic Institute for International Affairs, the Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Auswartige Politik in Bonn, Germany, and Harvard and Tufts universities. He received the Woodrow Wilson Fellowship in 1997 and was awarded numerous research grants, including those from the Rockefeller Foundation, the Ford Foundation and NATO. Flynn was also an active member of the American Political Science Association and had published numerous books, articles and chapters.

A memorial service for Flynn will be held on Wednesday, Nov. 19, at 10:30 a.m. in Dahlgren Chapel on the main campus of Georgetown University. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Gregory A. Flynn Memorial Fund, which has been established by the BMW Center for German and European Studies, the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service and the university. Donations can be made through the BMW Center.

Flynn is survived by his wife, Outi Flynn of Fairfax, Va. and his father, C. Wayne Flynn of Salem, Ore.