The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching has named biology professor Joseph H. Neale the 1998 Washington, D.C. Professor of the Year. Neale said he was nominated to receive the distinction by Robert B. Lawton, S.J., dean of the College. “We are so pleased that Dr. Neale has been honored with this award,” Lawton said. “Through his tireless dedication to his students and his commitment to science education at Georgetown and beyond, Dr. Neale is truly an educator in all senses of the word.” Neale, who graduated from Georgetown in 1966, joined the faculty in 1977 and has been the chair of the biology department since 1990. In order to break down the barrier between himself and his students and to boost their confidence, he schedules individual meetings with each of his approximately 200 Introductory Biology I students. Regarding Neale’s teaching style, Natalie Johnston (COL ’02) said, “He’s very enthusiastic and really lays out the material by giving examples that are easy to understand. He’s a good teacher.” In addition, Neale has been active in the Howard Hughes Undergraduate Scholars Program, a research-based curriculum that trains future biomedical research scientists. Neale, who also received his Ph.D. from Georgetown in 1970, said he was delighted to have received the honor, but added, “There are many extraordinary teachers in the undergraduate schools of Georgetown. While I’m pleased with the recognition, I feel I’m more a representative of the quality education available at Georgetown than a professor who needs to be set apart.” The Council for Advancement and Support of Education, a non-profit organization that promotes quality in teaching, founded the Professors of the Year program in 1981 and currently coordinates with the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and other associations of higher education in the program’s management. The entrants are judged based on their involvement with undergraduate students, their scholarly approach to teaching, their service to education in the university, community and profession and their support from colleagues and students, according to a university press release. To formalize his selection as Professor of the Year, Neale attended an awards ceremony at the Gannett Corporation Headquarters in Arlington, Va. on Thursday.