Courtesy Georgetown Sports Information Allen Iverson will return to campus on Friday.

The 2001 NBA All-Star weekend kicks off in Washington, D.C. this Thursday at the Washington Convention Center with the Fleer Jam Session and culminates on Sunday evening with the All-Star game at CI Center.

The eighth annual NBA All-Star Jam Session offers fans the chance to participate in a variety of interactive basketball experiences. Hosted by Washington Wizards center Jahidi White (COL ’98) and WNBA All-Star Nikki McCray, the event will feature bungee basketball, slingshot basketball, fantasy play-by-play recordings, courts with lowered rims for slam dunks and basketball trivia contests. Jam Session will also include an extensive trading card area with player and celebrity autograph sessions and displays of NBA memorabilia.

Throughout the session various musical acts, such as Shaggy, Lil’ Bow Wow, De La Soul and O-Town, will perform at Club NBA. Fleer Jam Session will begin at 4 p.m. on Thursday and Friday and 9 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

Georgetown students have already gotten a taste of what the Jam Session has to offer, as the official NBA Jam Van, an 18-wheeler carrying 5,000 sq. feet of basketball activities, stopped at MCI Center during Georgetown’s victory over West Virginia last Saturday. Participants were able to compete in one-on-one games, dunking competitions and three-point shootouts.

Joining White to take part in the weekend’s festivities will be former Hoyas Dikembe Mutumbo (FLL ’91), Allen Iverson, the leading vote-getter for Eastern Conference guards, and Alonzo Mourning (CAS ’92), the leading vote getter for East centers. Mourning’s spot on the All-Star team is intriguing because he is sitting out the 2000-01 season to undergo kidney treatments.

Mourning’s return to the district will include a visit to Georgetown to take part in a conference entitled “Excellence Without Excuses” in Gaston Hall on Friday, Feb. 9. Iverson and Head Coach Emeritus John Thompson are also expected to attend.

Related Links

At All-Star Game, A Hoya Reunion (1/26)