Former Dean Dies

Former Georgetown University School of Medicine Dean and Chief of Urology William Maxted (C ’50, MED ’54) died last month at age 83.

According to an article in The Washington Post, Maxted died of pneumonia at Georgetown University Medical Center Aug. 20.

Maxted graduated cum laude from Georgetown College in 1950 and the School of Medicine in 1954, completing his residency at Georgetown University Hospital in 1961 after serving in the Air Force. He then worked in the hospital’s urology department for 50 years before his retirement in 2011, serving as chief of urology and program director from 1976 to 1989 and as dean of the School of Medicine from 1989 to 1998.

In an Aug. 23 letter to the GUSM community, Stephen Ray Mitchell, the school’s current dean for medical education and a professor of medicine and pediatrics, spoke of Maxted’s importance for the Georgetown medical community.

“No Georgetown physician has done more over so long a period of time to mentor our students in clinical medicine,” Mitchell wrote. “There are generations of gratitude from those who remember …Maxted’s superb teaching.”

Despite his death, Maxted’s legacy lives on in the Georgetown medical community in the form of the William C. Maxted Urology Award, which honors exceptional performance by senior medical students. An annual endowed lectureship has also been named for him.

Maxted is survived by three children, five grandchildren and two sisters. His wife, Claire Maxted, died in 1995.