Foreign Service Journal Is Nothing New to GU

We read with interest the article “IR Journal Aims for Global Audience” in the Feb. 5 issue of The Hoya. To our surprise, the new journal by the School of Foreign Service was called the university’s “first journal addressing issues of international concern.”

This statement is incorrect. Since 1995, the National Security Studies Program, a master’s degree program within the School of Foreign Service, has published the National Security Studies Quarterly (NSSQ), with many notable achievements.

Since its inception, the journal has published contributions by leading scholars, policy makers and recognized experts, including former Secretary of State James Baker, Dr. Bruce Bueno de Mesquita, Dr. Zbigniew Brzezinski, Dr. Andrew Krepinevich, General Charles Krulak, USMC, Senator Sam Nunn (D-GA), Senator Charles Robb (D-VA), Lt. General Brent Scowcroft and many others. In addition, the journal has published several outstanding articles by graduate students from Georgetown and around the nation. Also, the Quarterly has established the Aaron Karber Memorial Award which is given each year for the best published article in the NSSQ by a Georgetown graduate student.

But perhaps the best indication of the NSSQ’s success is to examine the audience the journal reaches. Articles published in the National Security Studies Quarterly have been used in classes at the Army War College, Chicago, Georgetown, Harvard, the National Defense University and the Naval War College. Articles have been reprinted by the United Nations and the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.

The journal has also received notable media attention. Several articles have been featured in the specialized defense media, while others have been reprinted for the Department of Defense’s Current News Supplement or excerpted in publications such as Harper’s. Just this past January, the NSSQ received its first national television exposure when Dr. Zachary Selden appeared on “McLaughlin: One on One” to discuss his NSSQ article “Microchips and the Millennium: National Security Implications of the Year 2000 Problem.”

Defense experts and officials pay attention to NSSQ articles. An article in the summer 1998 issue of the journal was discussed at a meeting of the vice-chiefs of staff of the four military services, at which time it was decided that the critique published in the NSSQ must receive a response. An article on the revolution in military affairs (RMA) in the same issue prompted a response from one of the leading proponents of the American RMA.

The National Security Studies Quarterly has established itself as a journal of importance in the defense community, a vision shared with The Hoya when it interviewed founding editor Derek iller in late 1994.

Founding a journal and making it a success are enormous challenges, especially with an all-student staff. The NSSQ has succeeded in this fashion, and we wish our colleagues on the Georgetown Journal of International Affairs every success in their endeavor.

This viewpoint was signed by the following: James M. Ludes (GRD ’00), editor-in-chief of NSSQ, Susan Hasman (NSSP ’99), senior editor, Joseph Trapple (NSSP ’01), senior editor, Christopher Cole (NSSP ’99), associate editor, Paul Cox (NSSP ’00), business associate, Cleve Gray (NSSP ’01), business associate, Elizabeth J. Kim (NSSP ’00), associate editor, Andrew C. Lewis (NSSP ’99), business associate, Neal Orringer (NSSP ’00), business associate, Kimberly Resch (NSSP ’00), associate editor, and Glorn Sine (NSSP ’99), associate editor.