For Nights Out on the Town

Like any vibrant city, D.C. doesn’t shut down after dark. So when the school day ends, break out your dancing shoes and head to the latest Washington “it” spot. “[The] D.C. dance scene has evolved. We have caught up to and, in some cases, surpassed other cities,” said Antonis Karagounis, owner of several venues, including Ultrabar and Lima Lounge, and promotion companies Panorama and GLOW.

It’s great to have a favorite club, but the best way to keep your nights exciting is to change up your destination and check out what all the different areas of D.C. have to offer. Make the most of your night by planning ahead — figure out when the best time of the week is to hit a certain club, find out if there are any promotions and look up the schedule of upcoming events to see if any guest discjockeys are making an appearance. While Club Love is over in Northeast D.C., the same owner brings his unique scene over to the northwest end of the city with The Park at 14th.

“Marc Barnes wanted to experience a new challenge and a new neighborhood,” said Pamela Nieto-Furgeson of The Park. “His dream was to have a restaurant lounge for a mature crowd.” Although the four-floor venue turns up the volume a bit later in the night, Nieto-Furgeson recommended coming early for dinner and sticking around through the night to see how the club transforms at its different phases — from restaurant to lounge to party. With rotating DJs from Miami and New York every week, and “International Night” every Saturday and Sunday, the scene at The Park is definitely unlike any other in the city. “Even though D.C. is a very conservative city, it has a very active nightlife, ” saidNieto-Furgeson. “The K Street corridor is the most exciting new nightlife place to be at.”

As is the case at any upscale club, the scene at

The Park is all class and style. Nieto-Furgeson described the average clientele as the “young professional K street crowd” and stressed the importance of looking your best at this trendy spot, but the initial reaction of most people upon entering is surprise at how diverse the crowd really is — in a given night, an international businessman will share a table with an assortment of Washingtonians and college students.

GETTING THERE: 920 14th St. NW // 21+ //

theparkatfourteenth.com

The appeal of Avenue is in its intimate yet stylish ambience, with exposed brick walls, candle-lit nooks, and plush décor. The sexy mood is enhanced by your choice of music, from R&B to meringue to reggae. So whether you’re looking for a trendy lounge or buzzing dance floor, Avenue is one to put on your list. “Our location has given us the advantage of reaching out to a large audience,” said coownerHeban Andargie of the club’s locale in the heart of D.C.’s Chinatown, which has been revamped to become a popular nightspot in the last several years. Head over there on Thursdays for “College Thursday,” where guest DJs spin hip-hop and top 40 tracks all night. For a great deal, submit your name to the online guest list for free admission before midnight.

GETTING THERE: 649 New York Ave. NW // 18+

on Thursdays and Saturdays // 21+ on Fridays //

avedc.com

After four years of spinning great music and serving specialty drinks for a high-end clientele, Eyebarrecently took a hiatus for renovations and is reopening this fall with a whole new look. In addition to a two-level interior, Eyebar features a rooftop lounge right in downtown D.C. in the midst of office buildings and the federal center, which may seem an unlikely spot for such a place, but with the Mall just a few blocks away, the view from “Skyebar,” as it has been nicknamed, leaves no questions about why this location is successful.

“D.C. nightlife is undergoing change,” said Scott Herman, manager of Eyebar. “It’s becoming kind of mainstream, everyone’s playing the same music and wearing the same clothing.

Eyebar is different from many D.C. clubs, but with three floors, there’s still something for everyone.”Herman recommended coming on Tuesday nights, when a particularly eclectic mix of people come together to the urban hip-hop music of DJs Analyze and Alizay from WPGC, a popular D.C. radio station. He noted that Tuesdays seem most popular for the college crowd, but he sees them blend with Eyebar’s regular crowd of D.C. and northern Virginia residents. The spiced-up ambiance that will come with the re-opening of the club combined with the reliably up-tempo music make for a great night out but at a relatively unpretentious spot — plus, the lack of a cover charge makes the deal even sweeter.

GETTING THERE: 1716 I St. NW // 21+ //

eyebardc.com

If you’re looking for a night of Hollywood glam, Lima Lounge is the place to see and be seen. This “destination restaurant” features a three-floor interior, with the chic dining room upstairs and the upscale lounge on the lower level. “Lima has a lot of artistic elements that are found in other cities, butD.C. is usually more conservative,” said owner Karagounis. Progressive architects and artists conceptualized the design of the lounge to create a modern, sophisticated feel. This atmosphere, along with an impressive wine list and cocktail menu make for a night out worthy of celeb status. The crowd is also very diverse, as it is one of the more popular spots for international D.C. residents and visitors.

“We get an upscale local crowd that is seasoned in the nightclub and lounge culture,” Karagounissaid. “On Tuesdays, the crowd is more college. Tourists do check us out because they hear about the place from hotels and locals.”