The Georgetown football team will resume its Patriot League schedule this weekend as it travels to Lewisburg, Pa., to face the Bucknell Bison. The Hoyas come into the game having won two consecutive games against Duquesne and Davidson.

In the past two games, the Georgetown special teams have made the difference, blocking and then returning what would have been the extra point-after-touchdown against Duquesne and blocking another PAT and intercepting the would-be game-tying two-point conversion.

The match-up against the Bison will most likely hinge on two key factors: the ability of the Hoyas to control the ball with a consistent offense, and stopping the Bison running game.

The Hoyas have yet to establish a consistent rushing attack from game to game. Against Fordham, Georgetown moved the ball well on the ground, totaling 179 yards, including sophomore Dawon Dicks’ team-high of 77 on nine carries. However, the Hoyas have only shown glimpses of success in their rushing attempts in recent games. Freshman John Sims has looked very impressive in the first halves against both Duquesne and Davidson, but has largely been contained in the second halves.

Bucknell, on the other hand, features the stellar senior running back Jabu Powell. Powell has rushed for 483 yards so far this season, averaging more than 90 per game and 4.5 per carry.

“There’s no question we’re concerned about him,” Georgetown Head Coach Bob Benson said. “He’s the best running back we’ll see all year. We need to stop the run to be able to win.”

Georgetown’s defense will have to crack down on the running game better than it did in its last two games. Duquesne rushed for 202 yards, while Davidson’s Josh Gibson rushed for 108 yards on 17 carries last week.

Bucknell quarterback Todd Wenrich has been a key to the Bison offense this year and will likely also be a concern for the Hoyas. Wenrich has complimented Powell’s ground attack with 1,095 yards passing and has averaged 219 yards passing per game.

Another key element to the game may be turnovers. Bucknell sported a minus-five turnover rating in its first two games of the season, but in its past three games has forced 16 turnovers to reverse the rating to plus-six. The plus-six rating puts the Bison at 17th in the nation in that category. Georgetown sports a turnover rating of plus-one.

Last season, the Hoyas fell to the Bison, 24-10 at home on Kehoe Field. Powell had 156 yards rushing on 38 carries in that game. Coming into that game last year, Benson described Bucknell as “the best team to come to Georgetown in 50 years.” This year, Benson says the Bison may be even more talented, citing more experience and a very talented defensive line.

Benson said his goals for his team were to “elminate penalties, stop turning the ball over and play very physical.” Penalties plagued Georgetown against Davidson as the Hoyas were flagged 11 times for 83 yards.

The Bison enter the game with a record of 4-1 overall and 2-0 in the Patriot League, tying Bucknell with Lehigh and Holy Cross for first place. The Bison’s only loss came to Kent State, a Division I-A program in the first week of the season.

Last week Bucknell held off Lafayette, 17-16. Linebacker Stephane Pluviose was named Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in the game. Pluviose recorded 13 tackles against Lafayette and intercepted a pass on the Bison 33-yard line with 10 seconds left to seal the win for Bucknell.

The Bucknell game will be the start of a three-game road trip for the Hoyas, which will include games against Marist as well as San Diego.

The game against Georgetown will be Bucknell’s Homecoming game. Kickoff is at 1 p.m.

Team Schedules/Rosters 2001 Football Schedule | Roster