FOOTBALL Fordham Dominates GU, Extends Hoya Losing Streak By ike Hume Hoya Staff Writer

Charles Nailen/The Hoya The Hoya defense, shown above in prior action, could not contain the Fordham offense on Saturday.

The Fordham Rams sprinted to an early three-touchdown lead and never looked back, soundly defeating Georgetown 48-13 and leaving the Hoyas winless thus far in 2001.

Georgetown, 0-3 overall and in the Patriot League, had trouble shaking off the rust defensively, allowing Fordham (2-1, 1-1) to score on its first four possessions of the game and spotting the Rams a 24-7 lead in their homecoming game. Georgetown’s score came on its opening drive of the game, a three-play, 78-yard blitzkrieg, culminating in a touchdown pass from senior quarterback Sean Peterson to senior tight end Bo Cote. The touchdown was the first of Cote’s career. Sophomore running back Dawon Dicks set up the touchdown with a 44-yard run on Georgetown’s second play of the game. However, Fordham responded rapidly and frequently, scoring two touchdowns and a field goal in the next 11 minutes and 28 seconds to open a wide margin early in the second quarter. Fordham tacked on another pair of touchdowns to enter halftime with a comfortable 38-7 lead.

Fordham senior quarterback Mark Carney picked apart the Hoya secondary for 313 yards on 17 first-half completions, four of those for touchdowns. Carney finished with 22 of 33 passing for 368 yards and five touchdowns. He was named Patriot League Offensive Player of the Week for his efforts.

Carney connected seven times with his favorite target, receiver Javarus Dudley, for three touchdowns and a total of 180 yards in the first half. Dudley added only one more catch in the second half for eight more yards.

“Dudley was unbelievable. He’s probably the fastest guy in the Patriot League,” Benson said. “We’ve got a young secondary and we struggled.”

Dudley added a 59-yard kickoff return to open the Rams’ second possession of the game.

Despite the large halftime deficit, the Hoyas played a solid third quarter, holding the Rams scoreless while adding another touchdown of their own, a 19-yard pass from senior quarterback Sean Peterson to junior wide receiver Trenton Hillier.

“At halftime I said to the team that we needed to settle down and our goal was to cut [the lead] to 17 by the fourth quarter. And we almost did that,” Benson said.

However, after intercepting a Fordham pass and forcing the Rams to go three and out in the early second half, Georgetown continually failed to convert, throwing an interception on the Fordham 28-yard line and losing the ball on downs on the ensuing possession at the Fordham six-yard line.

“It was a tough day,” Benson said.

Hillier saw his first extensive action of the season against Fordham, making four catches for a total of 52 yards.

Senior tight end Bo Cote led the Hoyas in receiving yards with 92 on seven receptions, including a touchdown.

One of the few bright spots for Georgetown in this game was the solid offensive play. For the second game this year, Peterson threw for more than 200 yards completing 23 of 32 passes. Even the recently maligned Georgetown rushing game turned in a solid performance, totaling 179 yards on the day. Sophomore Dawon Dicks led the way with 77 yards on nine carries.

In his first game in nearly a month, freshman John Sims returned from an ankle injury, carrying the ball 11 times for 24 yards. Dave Paulus also saw time at quarterback in what Benson described as a “Kordell Stewart” type of role: an agile player capable of scrambling and rushing on his own in addition to throwing the ball. Paulus picked up 38 yards on four rushes. He was also 1 of 3 passing for five yards.

Despite 400 yards total offense, Georgetown simply could not push it across the goal line, losing the ball twice on fumbles near midfield in addition to the interception. The Hoyas were 0-4 on fourth down conversion attempts on the day.

Georgetown will attempt to rebound from its latest defeat this Saturday, celebrating its homecoming with a match up against Duquesne. Kickoff is at 1 p.m.

Team Schedules/Rosters 2001 Football Schedule | Roster