Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Oskar Schindler and President Bill Clinton are all admirable men. Yet they all have one thing in common: remove the fame and kudos, and you’ll find out that they were all adulterers. Does this shocking fact erase their contributions to society? Or do they remain, standing tall, in the book of history? College is truly a learning experience. I learned that Dr. King was an adulterer in the most unexpected way. I was working for Lauinger Library Administration, and instead of working, I found myself engaged in an interesting conversation with my supervisor. After telling him that I admired Dr. King, he responded, “Did you know that King was a womanizer?” I received a shock as if I found out my favorite rap star lip-synched all his songs. No way could King be so great a man, yet succumb to the sin of lust through infidelity with many females. I was disappointed, but, like Jesse Jackson, I kept hope alive. I ran out of the office, logged onto the library’s computer system and searched for a book that recognized this allegation. In the next few minutes, I found myself submerged into the text of “And the Walls Came Tumbling Down” by Ralph David Abernathy, King’s best friend and twin of the Civil Rights Movement. Abernathy’s memoir of his friend’s personal life recognizes King’s lifestyle as a womanizer. The book just popped my bubble. But, for some reason, my vision of King’s legacy wasn’t tarnished. Now that I think about it, the feeling of “No it can’t be true” that rushed through my body when my boss told me about King’s extramarital affairs was more like a feeling of déjà vu. I felt the same emotion when I saw the movie “Schindler’s List.” Steven Spielberg, director of the film, promoted the film pro-bono to schools throughout the nation. Before watching the film, I thought I was going to see a typical history lesson of the Holocaust. But I got an eye-full when I saw Schindler “getting it on” with many ladies. I said to myself, `This can’t be true.’ As if evading the Nazis as he saved many Jews wasn’t enough, he hid the many mistresses that he had from his wife. Some people just really overdue themselves by doing everything: good stuff and bad stuff. I won’t even bother to describe the first time I heard about President Clinton being an adulterer because, frankly, I can’t remember which of the many accounts. Yet, I was amazed that a strong wife, a great career and a wonderful alma mater wasn’t enough for him. I’m not trying to put Clinton in the same light as King and Schindler. But, I’m just trying to see a pattern between great men and adultery. I feel really sorry for Abernathy who suffered much derision because he recognized his friend’s personal life. As a result, he was credited with shadowing the Civil Rights Movement. I know I’m not defaming the movement because it’s even more dead than King himself. So don’t get me wrong or see me as some tight-ass Kenneth Starr type. There isn’t any level of success that excuses one from punishment for their wrongdoings. Immoral acts and sins are not permissible. Adultery, like all other sins, is the work of the devil. In other words, not just successful men, but all men and woman, are susceptible to it. Before I see King, Schindler and Clinton as great men, I see them as humans. Humans living their hectic lives. Phat Politics appears Fridays in The Hoya.