Flu Vaccine Distribution Suspended

The university has postponed flu vaccine clinics while it awaits the delivery of the rest of its vaccine shipment. The university has only received 2,000 doses of a 6,500-dose order. An e-mail from [James Welsh, assistant vice president for student health](https://www.thehoya.com/videos/georgetown-prepares-h1n1-outbreak-part-ii/), notified students and faculty of the change Monday evening.

“As many of you know, we have begun distributing seasonal flu vaccine on campus and plan to continue to do so through mid-November,” Welsh said in the e-mail.

“Due to the popularity of the initial clinics and the fact that we still have not received all of our vaccine order, the clinics scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 6, and beyond are being postponed until additional vaccine can be distributed to the campus community,” he said.

On Oct. 1, the first day the flu shot was available on campus, over 1,200 students, faculty and staff received the seasonal flu vaccine, according to Welsh. Last year the total number who received the vaccine was about 4,000.

Welsh is unsure of the exact date for the arrival of the next shipment. In his e-mail to the university community, Welsh said he would like to reassure the Georgetown community that the Student Health Center is working with the distributor to secure the remainder of the order. Any changes to the schedule due to a shortage will be posted on [the Student Health Web site](https://shc.georgetown.edu/).

The Student Health Center, with the Georgetown University School of Medicine and the School of Nursing and Health Studies, will offer these free flu shots to the entire Georgetown community. Walk-in clinics were scheduled to be ongoing through October and November at the Yates Field House, the Leavey Center Grill and the Law Center.

“It is important to remember, however, that this vaccine is for the seasonal strains only and will not prevent H1N1 influenza,” Welsh said.

The Student Health Center is currently working closely with the D.C. Department of Health to distribute the H1N1 vaccine when it becomes available. The Student Health Center Web site explains that the timing, dosage and details of who will receive the H1N1 vaccine will not be confirmed until mid-October.

“[The Student Health Center] will be prioritizing high-risk groups, according to the [Centers] for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines when that vaccine becomes available,” Welsh said. “The current priority list includes anyone under the age of 25.”

Welsh also said in a university-wide e-mail that flu shots will be available for a fee at other locations not affiliated with the university, such as CVS, Safeway and Giant.

In addition to vaccine clinics, the university has been taking other measures to prevent the spread of H1N1, including educating the students through distributing posters with frequently asked questions, providing hand sanitizer in public areas and encouraging students with symptoms to seek medical attention and continued treatment.