Five Hoya Runners Qualify for NCAAs in First Outdoor Meet

Five Hoya Runners Qualify for NCAAs in First Outdoor eet

By Meredith McCloskey Hoya Staff Writer

Five Hoyas qualified for the NCAAs as the Georgetown track and field team competed against more than 3,000 collegiate and high school athletes at the Stanford Track & Field Invitational Tournament, regarded as one of the finest meets in the country. The Hoyas faced teams from all around the country from schools such as ichigan, Notre Dame, Colorado, Oregon, California and Washington State.

Graduate student Justin McCarthy and junior Kyle Smits both ran the 10,000-meter race for the Hoyas. McCarthy automatically qualified for the NCAAs with 15th place overall, 10th among collegiate runners, and a time of 28:55.04. Smits was the 19th collegiate runner to finish the race, posted a time of 29:30.38 to place 27th overall.

All four Hoya women who traveled to Stanford this past weekend qualified provisionally in the NCAAs in the 10,000-meter race. Graduate student Kathleen Linck was the top Georgetown finisher, placing 10th overall and sixth among collegiate runners with a mark of 34:27.63.

Freshman Marni Kruppa and junior Emily Enstice ran times of 34:31.92 and 34:34.17 putting them 12th and 13th, eighth and ninth among collegiate runners. Junior Lorena Adams took 27th place overall and 21st among college runners, posting a time of 35:20.25.

The Hoyas travel to UNC this weekend to compete at the Raleigh Relays and the Duke Invitational the following weekend, April 7 and 8.