By Tracy Zupancis Hoya Staff Writer

Throughout the course of this week, International Student and Scholar Services, over 10 Georgetown University departments and more than 30 student organizations are sponsoring a series of events celebrating the intercultural community of Georgetown.

Program coordinator for IS Elizabeth Eck said this is the 11th year that Intercultural week has taken place, though in some past years it has been known as International week.

“It is a celebration of the international and intercultural identity of Georgetown staff and students,” Eck said. She added that though diversity has been highlighted on campus in recent months, “this is an event that has been celebrated for many years.”

The events began on Monday, April 3, with a kickoff celebration in Red Square, where different student groups gathered with tickets to their events and food.

Later in the evening, Emmy-nominated writer/performer Jeffrey Solomon presented “MotherSon,” a one-man play that explored the relationship between a Jewish mother and her gay son.

JSA president Steve Glickman (COL ’02) said that the performance “went really well and was very good. The actor is critically acclaimed, and I think it’s important to discuss issues that aren’t always discussed . even just the relationship between mother and son and sexual maturity are things other people can understand and identify with that can begin a dialogue.”

In addition, the Russian Club sponsored a screening of Onegin on onday, an adaptation of the Russian verse novel Eugene Onegin starring Ralph Fiennes and Liv Tyler.

On Tuesday afternoon, Fr. Alexei Michalenko demonstrated how to create traditional Ukrainian Easter Eggs, known as the art of Pysanky. Michalenko showed students how the eggs, wax and dyes combine to make the intricate designs that Ukraine is famous for. ichalenko also conducted a similar demonstration at the Smithsonian.

Literary Editor of the New Republic and author of Kaddish Leon Wieseltier gave a lecture in Copley Formal Lounge on Tuesday evening, discussing Jewishness in America. The event was followed by a reception and sponsored by the Jewish Studies Initiative.

Dr. Timothy J. Meagher, Director of the Center for Irish Studies at Catholic University discussed changing Irish-American identity on Tuesday evening, sponsored by the Irish American society

The Georgetown Hawai’i Club sponsored a poetry and short story performance by Elena Cabatu (COL ’02).

On Wednesday afternoon, director of the Asian Studies Program Dr. David Steinberg presented a lecture entitled, “Speaking Frankly or Obliquely: Cultural Contexts in Asia,” during the course of which he addressed communication styles in Asia. International Student and Scholar Services sponsored the lecture.

Wednesday evening saw a Jewish-Muslim Dialogue in ICC Auditorium sponsored by Special Programs and Campus Ministry. A panel of theologians and scholars gathered to discuss issues related to uslim and Jewish theology, and a dessert reception followed.

Also on Wednesday evening was a screening of The Boxer, starring Daniel Day-Lewis, sponsored by the Irish American Society.

At the same time, a career panel formed by alumni discussed their careers in international affairs and how Georgetown shaped their respective choices. The panel was sponsored by the MBNA Career Education Center.

On Thursday, an exhibit entitled “Islam Around the World” was on display in the Leavey Program Room and Corridors. The exhibit included displays, architectural models of mosques from around the world, a mini-bazaar with books and videos, snacks and clothing. The Muslim Student Association sponsored the exhibit.

Professor of Theology Dr. Maysam al Faruqi led an hour-long discussion concerning the perspective of women in Islam from a uslim perspective.

Following these afternoon activities was a screening of the animated Japanese movie Akira followed by sushi and a karaoke contest sponsored by the Japan Club and the Global Living Center.

In addition, on Thursday evening Russian folk songs were played by a live band sponsored by the Russian Club.

The day’s festivities ended with “Ritmo de la Noche,” a dance featuring Latino music and traditional Hispanic foods in Copley Formal Lounge from 8 p.m. to midnight, sponsored by MEChA, the Latin American Student Association and the Cuban American Student Association.

Today, Dr. Yuling Pan, managing director of Georgetown’s Asian Sociocultural Research Projects, and Dr. Barbara Craig, a consultant specializing in cross-cultural adjustment and workplace diversity issues, are slated to lead a discussion on “Communication in a Culturally Diverse Workplace.” The event is sponsored by IS.

At 1:30 p.m., the Muslim Student Association is sponsoring an Islamic congregational Friday prayer, performed weekly by millions, in the Copley Multipurpose Room.

From 7:30 p.m. until midnight, the International Party will take place on the Leavey Esplanade. The party, according to Eck, is traditionally one of the biggest crowd-getters of I-Week, as it attracts not only students from international groups, but the Georgetown community at large, who gather, she says “for learning outside of the classroom.” Tickets are $5 in advance, $8 at the door.

President of the Global Student Network Jelena Bosanac (MSB ’01), whose organization is sponsoring the event, said that about 500 people have attended the event for the past two years. She said that 25 countries will be represented at the food table, and while food is served there will be several cultural performances. These performances include dances by the GU Step Team, Brazilian martial arts, ballroom dancing, singing and more traditional dances.

Saturday will be the last day of events for I-Week, beginning in the morning with a Christian Orthodox Service at St. Nicholas Cathedral. Campus ministry will lead a group to the Christian Orthodox vigil service, which is a non-Eucharistic service that combines evening and morning prayer.

The Native American Student Association is sponsoring a pow-wow on Copley Lawn from noon until 6 p.m. Traditional Native American foods will be served.

A Capoeira performance, a blend of gymnastics, dance and percussion, will take place from 3 p.m. until 4 p.m. in Red Square. Capoeira is a traditionally Brazilian form of martial arts. The performance is sponsored by the Latin American Student Association.

Saturday evening offers a full slate of events, beginning with CaribNight, sponsored by the Caribbean Culture Circle from 6 p.m. until 10 p.m. Music, poetry, dance, storytelling and drama will be featured, and Caribbean cooking will be served.

From 8 p.m. until 10:30 p.m., AsiaFest will occur in Gaston Hall. The Asian American Student Association, the China Circle, Club Filipino, the Friends of Thailand, the Japan Club, the Korean Student Association, the South Asian Society, the Taiwanese Student Association and the Vietnamese Student Association are jointly sponsoring the events. Tickets are $5.

“We wanted to help enrich the cultural life of Georgetown,” So said. “Also, the Asian community is fragmented in some ways, so we’re hoping that this might help bring us together.

Also Saturday evening from 8 p.m. until about 10 p.m. is the Fiesta Mexicana in the Walsh Black Box Theater. The event is sponsored by Ballet Folklórico Mexicano de Georgetown and EChA, who plan to serve food and give music and dance performances. Tickets are $5 in advance, $7 at the door.