TO THE EDITOR:

I am responding to the rather uninformed editorial about the athletic fields at Georgetown (“Athletic Facilities Lack uscle,” THE HOYA, Feb. 8, 2005, A2).

The Multi-Sport Facility is going to happen, but you can’t just put in artificial turf and go to town. To facilitate construction of the facility, the roads in front of Harbin and the Energy Plant need to be reworked to allow for more space. This involves engineering research and the relocation of utilities before any shovels hit the ground.

I’ll bet when they have to close some roads to build the sports facility or start construction at 8 a.m. you’ll write another editorial complaining about traffic or about being woken up.

The natural fields will never be perfect; these fields never get a chance to rest. They are played on and practiced on.

Take a look at the turf in Southwest Quad. We can’t keep students off the grass and on the sidewalks long enough to get grass to grow – do you think we have any control over coaches and their teams? The only time the fields get a break is in the winter and maybe a short month in the summer, and even then we end up chasing off people who think that they are above the rules and the locked gates.

The coaches will not actively practice on top of Yates, nor are they flexible enough with their practices to allow for proper maintenance. Watch them do their drills at the same location every time. They’ll practice on soaking wet fields and tear them up even more without consideration. Kehoe Field (atop Yates) was abandoned partly as a result of the coaches complaining about it being too windy. Hey, how about some cheese with that wine? This was a local condition that could have been used to our advantage. Learn to play in the wind; if you can play well in less-than-perfect conditions, imagine how well you’d play in perfect conditions.

Seed, fertilizer and outside contractors are regularly used to keep the fields in the best possible shape. We are a university in a big city; we are basically landlocked and we have nowhere to grow. Extra space for multipurpose fields takes second place compared to educational buildings or new student housing. These are, in my opinion, good priorities for a university.

If THE HOYA had researched this topic as good journalists would have, the editorial would have recognized what we are up against. aybe a good, constructive editorial could have blossomed, as opposed to the angst filled drivel which I read.

MARC SMITH

LANDSCAPE MANAGER, GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY

FEB. 10, 2005