FIELD HOCKEY | Team Notches 1st Conference Win

The Georgetown field hockey team won both of its home games this weekend, keeping itself above the cellar of the Big East standings.

The Hoyas (7-5, 1-2 Big East) narrowly defeated Temple University (3-7, 0-3 Big East) 3-2 on Friday for their first conference win and took down Long Island University Brooklyn (1-10, 1-0 Metro Atlantic Athletic) 9-0 on Sunday in a non-conference showdown.

Friday’s game against Temple was fast-paced and physical. The win came at an important time for the Hoyas in conference play after suffering two straight losses.

“Obviously that win against Temple was a positive one for us because it kept us in the hunt,” Head Coach Shannon Soares said. “When you know you’re still in the hunt, that allows you to stay a little bit more motivated than if you weren’t.”

Freshman midfielder Taylor Alba scored the first goal of the game for the Owls 8:37 into the game. Although Temple was the first to capitalize, Georgetown took the advantage by scoring three consecutive goals, two of which came late in the first half and one of which came early in the second half.

The Hoyas’ success was in part due to winning 50-50 possession opportunities.

“I thought we did a terrific job,” Soares said. “That was our goal, to put our foot on the gas pedal from the first minute of the match against [Temple], and I thought we did a really good job of stepping to the ball and being on our front foot for the duration of that match.”

Junior midfielder Helena Masiello was the first to score for the Hoyas at the 20:51-minute mark. Freshman forward Ali Cronin assisted Masiello’s goal. Cronin was a major difference-maker offensively, assisting two of Georgetown’s three goals. Cronin’s impressive performance this weekend earned her the title of Big East Freshman of the Week.

With under seven minutes remaining in the half, freshman forward Cami Osborne capitalized off freshman back Anna Farley’s penalty corner. The goal was Osborne’s seventh this season.

Although Temple fought back and scored with less than two minutes remaining in the game, Georgetown maintained its 3-2 lead.

On Sunday, Georgetown dominated LIU Brooklyn, winning 9-0. Cronin opened the scoreboard 58 seconds into the match, with Osborne earning the assist. Less than three minutes later, sophomore forward Lindsay Getz scored off a play that began with a corner by Cronin.

“I think today it was just important for us to come out and set the tone early, and that’s just what we ask our kids to do,” Soares said. “They were able to find the back of the net in the first minute of the match and then two minutes later. So, two goals in the first five minutes definitely help put you in a positive situation moving into the rest of the match.”

In the first half, Georgetown took 27 shots, while LIU Brooklyn only took four. The Hoyas scored five times in the first half and they kept their foot on the pedal, putting four more in the back of the net in the second half.

The Hoyas successfully converted opportunities off penalty corners, with three of the nine goals coming from these scenarios.

Following the two wins, Georgetown prepares to play Liberty University (4-6, 2-1 Big East) on Friday. Liberty is Georgetown’s only opponent this weekend.

Liberty is another Big East opponent. This past weekend, the Flames beat Old Dominion University (4-7, 1-2 Big East), a team that defeated Georgetown 6-2 on Sept. 22.

“We will use every bit of that time to prep for Liberty. They’re a very high-quality opponent in the Big East, and they are someone we will take very seriously as we move into the week preparing for them,” Soares said.

The match is scheduled for Friday at 2 p.m. at Cooper Field.