The Georgetown field hockey team (2-6, 0-1 Big East) dropped two more games this weekend, falling to Providence, 5-2, and Lehigh, 3-2, in its first home games of the season.

The Hoyas had a tough break in Friday’s game against Providence (4-2, 1-0 Big East) when the referees called an illegal pick against Georgetown, waving off a goal by senior forward Charlotte Tierney.

Had Tierney’s score counted, the Hoyas would have gone up, 1-0, but the Friars responded with a quick goal that put them on the board first instead.

“We went down 1-0 after a goal that was really suspect,” Head Coach Tiffany Marsh said. “There definitely was a change of momentum in the game after that goal.”

That momentum led Providence to score again two minutes later. Georgetown senior midfielder Claire Mittermiller ensured that the Blue and Gray wouldn’t go into halftime scoreless, knocking in a rebound with five minutes left in the half to cut the lead to 2-1.

Although she had nine saves on the afternoon, senior goalkeeper Briana Pereira was unable to stop the Friars from netting three more goals in the second half.

Georgetown senior midfielder Katy Wingo rocketed in a goal off a penalty shot late in the half, but it was too little, too late, and the Hoyas lost, 5-2.

Despite the loss to the only conference team the Blue and Gray defeated last season, Marsh put a positive spin on things after the weekend was over.

“To play against a Big East opponent that strong is a really positive sign,” Marsh said. “That was head-and-shoulders better than any other game we have had. If a few things had gone differently, the score would have been a lot different.”

And after Sunday’s contest against Lehigh (2-6), Marsh was left saying the same thing, as three of Georgetown’s shots hit the post.

“I have never before seen three shots hit the post in a game,” Marsh said. “Usually you just get one. We outshot them and dominated play. We just couldn’t put the ball in the back of the net.”

Backing up Marsh’s claim of dominance, the Hoyas had 19 shots on goal while the Mountain Hawks recorded only eight.

Georgetown fell behind early when Lehigh senior Kimberly Eng netted a penalty shot in the opening minutes. The Mountain Hawks would score again in the first half to enter the intermission leading 2-0.

Only one minute out of the break, however, junior forward Katie Dempsey scored her first goal of the season off a pass from freshman forward Sarah Butterfield to put Georgetown on the board.

As it did against Providence, Georgetown dominated shooting against Lehigh, but Pereira let in another goal with 28 minutes to play to give Lehigh a 3-1 advantage.

The Hoyas captured momentum with 10 minutes to go, with Tierney scoring off a feed from fellow senior forward Annie Wilson. Despite additional shot attempts, the Hoyas could not equalize and lost, 3-2.

“We fixed the problems that we targeted as problem areas from last weekend,” Marsh said, “but there isn’t anything you can do about hitting the post that many times. Two inches the other way, and that means overtime or coming out on top.”

As always, despite all the disappointments so far this season, Marsh put a brave face on the outcome.

“Overall, we had an unlucky weekend,” Marsh said. “But this was the best hockey I have seen in a long time — since I started coaching here.”

The Hoyas return to action this weekend as they travel to Kentucky to take on Louisville on Friday. The game is set to start at 6 p.m.

Have a reaction to this article? Write a letter to the editor.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *