Gabe Cappelli/The Hoya Sophomore midfielder Shelby Samperton helped Georgetown down Appalachian State 4-0 last Friday.

The Georgetown field hockey team is learning how to win. Extending their streak of victories to six games, they fought their way to a 2-1 win over a tough Rutgers squad Monday.

Sophomore midfielder Elena Elster scored two oals, both coming off penalty corners. She also scored twice in the Hoyas’ 4-0 win over Appalachian State Friday and now leads the team with six goals for the season.

The team has been focusing on getting off to a quick start in the game, and that is what they did Monday. Although they were unable to produce a goal, the Hoyas controlled play in the first half with a strong passing game, creating many offensive opportunities. They had four penalty corners before Rutgers got its first shot off.

However, that first shot proved to be enough for the Scarlet Knights to get on the board. They scored on a penalty corner taken by senior forward and All-American Andschana Mendes and went up 1-0.

“I was really proud of the way our team didn’t skip a beat [after the Rutgers goal]. They didn’t let it bother them. And at halftime, everyone was so confident. Everyone was [saying], `No worries. We’re going to get that back.’ Normally I can sense that they’ll say things like that, but I really felt their confidence,” Head Coach Laurie Carroll said.

The Hoyas answered less than four minutes into the second half with Elster connecting on a penalty corner assisted by senior midfielder Aubrey Bruggeman and sophomore forward Leeanne Rizzo. At 28:12, the trio scored again in identical fashion to put the Hoyas up 2-1 for good.

“Our corners have just been working so well. Even in warm up, they were so on I couldn’t believe it,” Carroll said.

After scoring, the Hoya defense continued to play well but seemed to forget that they were the ones winning, making some rushed decisions. Rutgers had four penalty corner opportunities within less than nine minutes.

“There were times when we needed to just do simple possession passes, and we gave the ball to the other team,” Carroll said. “Maybe we’re not used to controlling a game, but this year, gosh, we need to get used to it, because we’re winning some games. So we need to learn how to win, really.”

Junior goalkeeper Jessica Herring had three saves. Her goals against average is now 1.12, and her win-loss record is identical to the Hoyas’ 6-2 mark.

The Hoyas lost at Rutgers in the 2000 season, falling 2-1 in double overtime. The Scarlet Knights are nationally recognized as a member of the Big East conference, whereas the Hoyas are one of three Division I teams in the country in an independent conference and compete mostly on the local level.

“They’re someone that we haven’t beaten in the last few years anyway. They always have great athletes, and they always compete. No matter what their record is, you just know that they’re going to be big strong athletes. So it’s just really a big step for our program,” Carroll said.

The Hoyas face American University (5-4) today at 3:30 p.m. on Kehoe Field.

Team Schedules/Rosters 2001 Feild Hockey Schedule