On Sunday, the Buccaneers won the Super Bowl (oh no, not another columnist talking about the Super Bowl. Yeah, I’m going to talk about it, so sit down and read on). Sure, they’ve got Keyshaun Johnson and Warren Sapp, two of the best players, not to mention the biggest mouths, in all of football. They’ve got a coach worth four draft picks and eight million dollars. They’ve got the best defense in the league.

Add all that to the fact that I’m from Florida and it’s not hard to guess which team I was rooting for. Which isn’t to say that I wouldn’t have rooted for them otherwise – they’re a good team. But they haven’t always been good. This is a team that came into the world on a 26-game losing streak. They were the laughingstock of the NFL for too many years. They persevered through loss after loss and eventually the winds changed for the Bucs.

Sound familiar? Here’s another scenario: a month ago the Ohio State Buckeyes came into the Fiesta Bowl as an 11-point underdog. They believed in their own abilities, though, just like they’ve been doing since before any of us was born. The Buckeyes have been the classic “this is our year” team for three decades, and fans have stuck with them for that long. I’ve been a Buckeye fan since they won their last championship – okay, that’s not actually possible; my dad was 15 when that happened.

Cheering for these teams wasn’t always easy, and it certainly wasn’t always popular. Even after the Buckeyes won that coveted glass football for the first time in 35 years, Floridians wouldn’t let it rest. As an Ohio State fan living in Florida, for instance, I’ve heard every argument there is about that instantly-infamous call, so don’t try me. There was a long stretch when, if you lived in Florida, you were either a Dolphins fan or a senior citizen. There were actually a lot of senior Dolphin fans too, but not too many Buccaneer fans.

Alright, buddy, get to the point. What right do we have to be disgruntled at an off year? Georgetown has had more than its fair share of on years. Our football team made two bowl appearances, once upon a time, and was known as one of the best in the nation. Sure they’ve has some rough times since then, but they didn’t start 0-26 in the Patriot League. And even if they had, teams like Tampa Bay have proven that that can be overcome.

Our baseball team had some glory days too. The 1920s and ’30s were good to us, yielding an undefeated season and putting numerous players in Georgetown’s athletic hall of fame. Admittedly it is difficult to cheer for them now, especially when they play their “home” games in East Jabib, Md., but some school spirit and a little bit of fan support might go a long way in bringing back those days of yore.

Most of us on campus were alive, if just barely, when the National Championship banner was hung in McDonough. We remember names like Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo, Patrick Ewing and Allen Iverson. We are not that far removed from those days, and a couple of off years give us no right to do anything other than cheer louder.

Making the tournament each and every season is certainly a more than reasonable expectation. Sixty-four teams do it every year. We may not win it in my tenure on the hilltop, but we’re not the Cincinnati Bengals of college hoops.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t be angry or disappointed by a loss, especially to a team like Seton Hall. Those losses are absolutely uncalled for, but there is a distinct difference between being disappointed and being disheartened. Don’t long for the good ole days.

Have faith in the Hoyas of here and now, rather than reminiscing a time not one of us was on campus. We were probably just trying to get through until naptime back in kindergarten, and at best dreaming of some day coming to Georgetown.

I hope this makes some people angry, the kind of people who can honestly say that they have been Hoya fans since their first bottle (not the alcoholic kind; I’m talking about a baby bottle here). We need more of you. You are the kind of fan that will stick with a team when it goes through tough times.

We’re all here on the hilltop for four years, so it doesn’t take that much effort to be a fan for at least that long. But stick with this team. Some day we may just find that what seems like a downhill slide now is actually just a bump in the road. Anyone who has done it can tell you: believing in a team through the rough times only makes the sweet times that much sweeter.