Expectations Rise as Women’s Soccer Signs Five Highly-Rated Recruits

By Stephen Owens Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown women’s soccer program recently announced the signing of five talented recruits for the upcoming fall 2000 season. The incoming freshmen, along with a strong core of returning letter-winners, including 10 out of 11 starters from last fall’s squad, will look to build on the team’s most successful season in the seven-year history of the program.

While it will take time for the incoming freshmen to acclimate themselves with the rest of the team, three of them already have experience playing with each other. Outside midfielder/forward Lauren Calone (New Branchburg, N.J./Gill St. Bernard), central midfielder Alyssa Conlow (Allentown, N.J./Hamilton) and goalkeeper Alexis George (Woodbury, N.J./Haddonfield Memorial) all currently play for the Medford Strikers club team of New Jersey, which has won two New Jersey state championships and currently ranks seventh in the nation in the Ace Premier Soccer rankings.

According to Head Coach Diane Drake, Calone will bring much-needed speed to the Hoyas’ program. Calone was a track star throughout high school, and recently finished second in the state in the 400-meter dash.

“[Calone] is really dynamic in the air and very eager to learn and grow as a player,” Drake said.

Conlow, according to Drake, is the most decorated recruit arriving in the fall for the Hoyas and may be immediately inserted into the starting line-up to replace midfielder Barbara Niner, the lone starter the Hoyas lost to graduation this spring. She is also a six-year member of the New Jersey Olympics Development Program.

“[Conlow] is as much of a presence as Niner,” Drake said. “She may be more polished technically and she’s faster . We’re looking for big things out of her.”

The third member of the New Jersey club team joining the Hoyas this fall is George, whose sister Abby started in net for the Hoyas for three seasons, and is currently a graduate student at Georgetown. Among George’s accolades is her New Jersey state record for career shutouts with 63.

While the Hoyas roster already contains two qualified goalies in Shereena Chang and Emily Main, Drake expects George to arrive in the fall and immediately challenge them for playing time.

“George is going to make them better,” said Drake of the upcoming competition between goalkeepers vying for a staring position. “And they’re going to make her better.”

Like Calone, incoming freshmen central midfielder/forward Jennifer Choinere (New Merrimack, N.H./Bishop Guertin) and forward Jessie Beers-Altmann (State College, Pa./State College Area) were also track standouts in high school.

Drake expects Choinere, like Calone, to make an immediate impact on the Hoyas this fall.

“[Choinere] is a great goal scorer who is great in the air . she’s fast, tactical, and technical,” added Drake, “She’s the whole package and we’re looking for some immediate exciting things out of her.”

Beers-Altman is perhaps the fastest of all the recruits the Hoyas have joining the team this fall. According to Drake, the forward is a great in one-on-one situations, which could translate into a number of scoring opportunities for the Hoyas.

Overall, Drake is extremely pleased with all five of her incoming recruits and especially with their versatility.

“I felt last year we got kind of limited in one-dimensional players,” said Drake. “We’ve really worked hard to bring in multi-dimensional players.”

In addition to tying a club record with eight wins, the 1999 Hoyas earned the right to participate in its first-ever Big East tournament by finishing among the top four teams in Mid-Atlantic division of the Big East.

This fall, however, the Hoyas have even loftier goals.

Among the goals are a semifinal appearance in the Big East tournament, which will require the team’s second-ever Big East tournament appearance and first-ever tournament win. Another goal the team has set is to earn an at-large bid to the 48-team NCAA tournament at the end of the season.

While the Hoyas have set the bar high for next season, Drake believes the Hoyas have the talent and desire to win.

Drake said of the team’s goals: “They’re not unrealistic.”