Exorcist Showings, Pumpkin Carving Highlight Activities

Charles Nailen/The Hoya Brittany Root (COL ’06) reaches into a bowl of “scary things” in Red Square yesterday. The event was one of many celebrating Haloween, including a haunted tour of Georgetown and pumpkin carving.

Halloween has arrived and the best is yet to come this evening as Halloween events move into full swing at Georgetown.

With midterms winding down, students will finally have a chance to enjoy themselves with an array of traditional events that make Halloween one of the most exciting events on campus.

Among the most popular of events here at Georgetown is the Georgetown Program Board’s annual showing of The Exorcist, which will be shown at two different times this evening, 7:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. in Gaston Hall. The Exorcist, of course, has special significance, making it that much more of a scary and entertaining movie for Georgetown students.

As a precursor to the showing of the Exorcist, GPB holds a costume contest before each showing of The Exorcist, awarding prizes for those with the best costume.

“The Exorcist screening is such a popular event here on campus, as it always has a very good turnout. We are very excited for it this year,” Morgan Deacon (COL ’06), GPB vice chair for Halloweek Events, said. “There will also be a surprise at the beginning of the first showing of The Exorcist, which we can not divulge at this point.”

In addition to the screening this evening, GPB will be holding a Pumpkin Carving today at 1:00 p.m. in Red Square. According to Deacon, there will be 10 gutted pumpkins out for anyone to carve and decorate, and a prize will go to the person with the best pumpkin.

“Afterwards, the pumpkins will be dispersed throughout the campus. This should be a very fun and exciting event for anyone who wants to get into the Halloween spirit and be creative,” Deacon said.

Best Buddies will sponsor a Halloween Party tonight from 6:30-8:30 p.m. in Sellinger Lounge as a community service event. Best Buddies is a non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing the lives of people with intellectual disabilities by providing opportunities for one-on-one friendships.

GPB has also been sponsoring other events all week long in Red Square, including free candy on Monday and “Touch Scary Things” on Tuesday, where students who were brave enough to stick their hands inside boxes and touch the insides received prizes.

On Thursday night, GPB held “Stalking & Snacks” in Red Square, where students got together for a night of food and cider.

“Overall, the events this week have been going very well,” Deacon said. “Our main goal is for students to get into the Halloween and fall spirit, and to relax.”

The daily Halloween events are new for GPB, but Martin has also been very pleased with their success. “Even though these are just little things, we feel they provide a bundle of entertainment to those who are willing to enjoy Halloween,” he said.

GPB will also be collaborating with the FRIENDS Initiative tonight for Haunted Georgetown, which will be held in the Dahlgren Courtyard from 8-11 p.m., offering various snacks, candy and music.

“There are a number of legends associated with the campus that include a Jesuit ghost who haunts the clock tower, the ghosts of fifth floor Healy, poltergeists and apparitions in LXR, and of course the stories associated with the Exorcist stairs,” Haunted Georgetown Coordinator Kimmie Lipscomb (SFS ’05) said.

“The event will serve as a fun alternative for those students who don’t drink and still want to have a good time,” Deacon said.