Esherick Gets Six-Year Deal

By Sean P. Flynn Hoya Staff Writer

Two and a half months after taking the job, en’s Basketball Head Coach Craig Esherick finally got his job security.

Georgetown Athletic Director Joseph Lang announced in a press release Thursday that the school and Esherick had finally reached agreement on a six-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not released.

“As I said at the announcement of his appointment, we believe that Craig is the very best person for the job,” Lang said in the release.

Esherick took the head coaching job on Jan. 8 when 26-year Head Coach John Thompson resigned due to personal problems. At the time, Lang said that the school was in the process of signing Esherick to a long-term deal, but it took two and a half months until the deal was finalized.

“As soon as the season ended I was able to devote my full attention to the contract,” Esherick said in the press release. “I am very happy the contract has now been signed and I can focus on preparing to continue Georgetown’s tradition of success.”

Esherick, a Silver Spring, Md., native, is a 1978 graduate of Georgetown College and was a four-year letterman under Thompson. Esherick was a bench player for most of his career but is best known during his playing days for a 40-foot buzzer-beater against George Washington in a 1978 game that Georgetown eventually won in overtime.

After graduating, Esherick went to law school at Georgetown while assisting Thompson and coaching at a local high school. Five days after Esherick passed the D.C. bar exam in 1982, Thompson offered him an assistant position, which he held for 17 years until becoming head coach in January.

Under Esherick, Georgetown went 8-10, including a trip to the National Invitation Tournament, where the Hoyas lost 54-47 to Princeton in the first round on March 10.

Lang said he was pleased with Esherick’s recruiting capabilities and the team’s success after Thompson resigned.

“His leading Georgetown to its 25th consecutive postseason appearance, the outstanding recruiting class he is bringing in and the way he has conducted himself through his first 18 games all demonstrate that he embodies the values that make Georgetown basketball a living tradition.”