Emergency Repairs to Restrict Campus Traffic

Emergency repairs on the water and natural gas lines between the Leavey Center and the Lombardi Cancer Center will continue throughout the week and restrict vehicle traffic in the area until they are complete.

A leak in the water line was found at the end of last week, which eroded support for the natural gas line, according to university spokeswoman Stacy Kerr. The gas line was replaced over the weekend, but another leak was found when testing the newly installed sections. That leak in the natural gas line is being addressed by the most recent repairs.

The natural gas supply to several Georgetown University Medical Center buildings, the Lombardi Cancer Center and the Leavey Center will be cut off as well. The Kentucky Fried Chicken in Hoya Court, Faculty Club and Cosi in the Leavey Center are temporarily close, according to email from Vice President of University Safety Rocco DelMonaco Monday.

The area between the Leavey Center and the Lombardi Cancer Center remains open to pedestrians and patients that are visiting Lombardi.

In addition, the Leavey Center and Hariri Building’s parking lots will not be affected. However, there may be limited access to Lot G, located behind the GUMC’s Research Building, throughout the morning.