Sturgill, College Democrats

I want to know how Bush can look a struggling single mother in the eye and tell her that his tax cuts are the remedy to her and our financial woes when 4.3 million people have fallen below the poverty line under his watch.

Just in case the fact that the number of children living in poverty since Bush took office rose by 11 percent isn’t disturbing enough, there was a 10 percent cut in welfare to their families over the same period. Now that’s what I call “compassionate conservatism.” He’d rather cut off kids on welfare than raise taxes on the rich.

In the future, every one of us will have to pay at least $15,000 to the government to pick up the tab for Bush’s deficit. Some tax cut.

Over three years, Bush turned Clinton’s record surplus into the biggest deficit in history. In case you slept through macroeconomics, big deficits are bad for our economic stability. Even the staunchest Republicans agree it’s out of control. Paul Volcker, the former Federal Reserve chairman, says there’s a 75 percent chance of a financial crisis in the next five years.

And then there’s unemployment. There are still nearly one million fewer jobs than when Bush took office. It needs to generate 150,000 jobs a month just to keep up with population growth, which is nowhere near happening. Bush is going to be the first president since Herbert Hoover not to create a single job.

It’s Kerry’s vow to fix that. One thing he’ll do is cut reckless spending (we’re talking about a Democrat here) and raise taxes on a very wealthy 2 percent of the population in order to cut the deficit in half in his first term.

By strengthening America’s image abroad Kerry will strengthen American exports, lower Bush’s records trade deficit, cut energy costs, and create jobs.

Don’t be fooled by Bush’s plan.

Oh, wait . he doesn’t have one.

Hsin, College Republicans

The only vow to which John Kerry has ever pledged his political fidelity, and remained true, has been his bold defiance of simple truth and plain fact.

As Mr. Sturgill demonstrates, those of the sourly indignant left plainly excel at proclaiming the articles of their political faith and vividly portraying the figments of a crass and simplistic imagination. Yet, this meager stratagem – the crude politics of sentiment – simply does not lend them any greater credence or semblance of reasoned policy.

The fact remains that those policies for which Kerry has so fulsomely professed his support – the sensible elimination of the tax penalty levied against married couples, for instance, or prudent expansion of the Child Tax Credit for the “struggling single mother” – have at best earned his inconstant political favor through the 20 years of fruitless senatorial service, with at least 12 of his votes cast against the former and three against the latter.

Curiously, Kerry now merrily touts these policies as the crucial components of a sensible economic program. If only the downtrodden mother Sturgill contemplates could have relied on such stalwart advocacy from the presidential aspirant five years ago, perhaps the tax relief whose passage he now urges might have been granted sooner.

Conversely, the president has vigorously and consistently sought to remedy the economic tribulations borne of natural market corrections and fluctuations – namely the burst of the dot-com bubble – and sorely exacerbated by the horrific brutalities of Sept. 11, 2001, through robust measures of economic stimulus.

And as Department of Labor statistics sanguinely attest, these, including the tax cuts whose repeal Kerry demands, have proven strikingly effectual, with the payroll ledgers already burgeoning with 1.7 million jobs newly created and the household survey reporting some 2.6 million jobs total added since the inherited recession of 2001.

May the incurable nay-sayers of the left then complain all they will. For the American people, unlike the economically aloof politicians of Kerry and his ilk, are acutely sensible to the decisive, and favorable, shift of the economic tides. Now if only John Kerry’s opinions would stop changing with them.

Sturgill, College Democrats

Those bills reducing the Child Tax Credit and Marriage Penalty also contained massive tax cuts for the wealthy, with over 40 percent of the cut going to the top 1 percent – the largest gifts to the rich in U.S. history. Common sense forced Kerry to oppose the overall bills, though they contained elements he has always supported.

Oh, and 1.7 million jobs created since Bush lost 2.3 million equals a net loss of 600,000 to date. Fuzzy math anyone?

Likewise, that household survey is not a measure of salaried jobs. It includes unpaid workers, thus broadening the definition of employment. Sorry Jady, but a job isn’t a job unless you get paid, and both surveys indicate that Bush still has the poorest job creation record in history.

You call Democrats “nay-sayers.” I’d call it speaking the truth. Unfortunately, the truth hurts. Way to manipulate the facts to fit your ideology.

Ryan Sturgill is a sophomore in the School of Foreign Service and communications director of GU College Democrats. Jady Hsin is a sophomore in the College and president of GU College Republicans.