“Anger, directed at an unknown culprit, was not so easy to contain . When thoughts of vengeance came – and come they did – they were soon dwarfed by the human iconography of the day: firemen stranded in hollowed-out buildings; airplane passengers strewn on city streets; government workers covered in blood and thick dust. The story of the worst terrorist attack in the nation’s history is now the story of individuals thrust into unimaginable reaches of horror.” – Yale Daily News, Sept. 12, 2001

“Whoever was responsible for yesterday’s killing was attempting to undermine those very values: life, through the savage and cowardly execution of mass murder; and freedom, through the cold and systematic intimidation of an entire nation. But that kind of intimidation can transform reality only if it is allowed to do so.” – Daily Pennsylvanian, Sept. 12, 2001

“But even watching in uncertainty, the students at Saint Mary’s and Notre Dame turned to the one place where they could find answers: in faith. Even under the tragedy where President Bush said “our citizens, freedom and very way of life came under attack,” the faith-bound community held together in prayer, searching together to explain the day’s events . No act of terror can ever destroy our faith.” – The Notre Dame Observer, Sept. 12, 2001

“Many of us awoke yesterday to see an image stranger than many dreams and more horrific than any nightmare . All of us will wake today, tomorrow and the days following to begin the awful work of coming to grips with the very truth that we fear the most – that it all actually happened. We can only accomplish this together.” – The Daily Princetonian, Sept. 12, 2001

“The American people would do well to ignore the grandstanding by opportunistic politicians eager to piggyback their pet causes on this horrible nightmare. Endless theories abound – and will continue to proliferate – as to why we were attacked and who is responsible. Now is not the time for that. We must close ranks and deal with this catastrophe as a country and community before we can move forward.” – The Daily Texan (University of Texas at Austin), Sept. 12, 2001