The Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service named a prominent international economist as a new professor in the school this week.

Dr. Theodore H. Moran, Ph.D., will join the SFS as the Marcus Wallenberg professor of International Financial Diplomacy, according to a press release from the university.

Moran is an expert in international economics, business, foreign affairs and public safety according to the release.

Moran said he hopes to do research, develop fellowships and work with students and faculty from such institutions as the Stockholm School of Economics which he said would be a positive exchange for both Georgetown and the other institutions. He also said that he hopes not just to teach and write books, but to work to build relationships, fellowships and exchanges.

The Marcus Wallenberg Chair commemorates the work of Swedish economist Marcus Wallenburg, who was instrumental in aiding Sweden’s economic development in the period following World War II. Moran said that Marcus Wallenberg focused his work on the overlap of business and foreign policy.

Wallenberg’s grandson Marc Wallenberg (SFS ’80) said that he thought the university made a good choice in Moran.

“I am extremely pleased to hear that Georgetown University has appointed Ted Moran to the Marcus Wallenberg Chair,” said Wallenberg, “and look forward to working closely with him in the future.”

SFS Dean Robert L. Gallucci said in the press release that this appointment would “strengthen bonds between Georgetown’s School of Foreign Service and the many companies and institutions, such as the Stockholm School of Economics, with which the Wallenberg family is associated.”

Moran is a member of the Executive Council of the McDonough School of Business. He has published several books on foreign investment and development studies of sweatshops and developing country issues in Latin America and Asia, and is currently writing a book about foreign investment and development.

A member of the negotiating teams for the NAFTA and GATT treaties, he has also served as senior advisor for economics on the Policy Planning Staff of the State Department. In 2000 he was appointed an external Counselor to the World Bank’s ultilateral Investment Guarantee Agency.

Moran is also the founder and director of the Landegger Program in International Business Diplomacy at Georgetown, which according to him, focuses on “the intersection [between] public policy and corporate strategy for investment and development.” The courses in the program deal with the diplomatic and corporate side of business courses, he said.

Moran is a 1977 Ph.D. graduate from Harvard University and is married with three children.