Eco-Cycling Week Brings The Green to Georgetown

Georgetown kicked off its first Eco-Cycling Week in efforts to make campus a little greener. The event was conceived by EcoAction board member Emily McGinnis (SFS ’11) and sponsored by the Off Campus Student Life Stewardship Council, EcoAction and Georgetown Energy.

Students are encouraged to get involved by bringing recyclables such as batteries, ink cartridges, electronics and old cell phones to Red Square between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. every day this week. Once Eco-Cycling Week has officially ended, students may continue to drop off these items at the Harbin Hall Garage.

Old cell phones will be donated to Cell Phones for Soldiers, an organization that collects, refurbishes and donates used cell phones to soldiers serving overseas. In addition, non-perishable food items will be collected and donated to a local D.C. organization.

Students may also bring incandescent light bulbs and trade them for compact fluorescent lights. According to EcoAction President Kristin Ng (MSB ’11), 13-watt CFLs can replace 60-watt incandescent bulbs and save a considerable amount of energy.

“And because this is for free, thanks to the generosity of the Department of Utilities, it can save a lot of money as well,” Ng said.

This year’s Eco-Cycling event kicked off last night with an address on lifestyle choices and their impact on the environment by Julie Lawson, president of the Surfrider Foundation. The Surfrider Foundation is a non-profit organization that works for marine conservation.

In the event of rain, the collection tables will be relocated to the Leavey Center.

Both students and administrators expressed enthusiasm about the week-long event.

“We hope [Eco-Cycling Week] will become an annual event,” director of Off Campus Student Life Anne Koester said.

“I think it’s a great initiative, and I hope that it inspires student groups to create more opportunities to recycle on a regular basis and more eco-friendly projects,” Heather Flynn (COL ’14) said.